The Zen of Cars, Bikes, and Feet

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 22, 2007
      Hi All,

      About 35 years ago, a "Desiderata" made the rounds of
      poster shops and became a staple of American culture.
      I see the need for a similar cultural artifact, today
      updated for the Internet. I want to publish a draft in
      the next Carfree Times and try to get people to spam
      their friends with it. It needs to be 3-4 times as big
      as the draft, and much better. The slogan that starts
      "However big your engine" is at the outer limit of
      length. Four-word sentences are best.

      Here's the working draft. I would like to have thoughtful,
      pithy, literate additions to this draft. We can do it
      here on the list. When we get an advanced draft, I'll
      put a copy on the World Carfree Network list for further
      comment.

      If we make this really good, it can be a culture-shaping
      instrument that will take on a life of its own.

      Regards,

      Joel

      "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for
      the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells

      "Driving makes you stupid." Tim

      However big your engine, however many gears in your transmission,
      however large your saddle tanks, your genitalia will be no larger,
      faster, or more enduring.

      Buying a new car only makes you poorer, not more popular. Or happier.

      Riding a bike is not anti-American.

      Driving an SUV is anti-American, no matter how many American flags
      you stick on it.

      Walking is not a shameful activity.

      Drivers of big cars must assume responsibility for protecting
      others in smaller cars. Especially those in no car at all.

      One minute of bike pedalling is more exercise than an hour of
      pushing on the gas pedal. Even if you push really hard.

      Love a cyclist, not a car.

      etc.

      ----- ### -----
    • c1ttad1no
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 22, 2007
        Cars are big and noisy. They push us farther apart and make it hard
        to hear each other.
      • c1ttad1no
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 22, 2007
          Streets are for people to live in.
        • c1ttad1no
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 22, 2007
            Suggested edits:

            Riding your bike is patriotic.

            Driving an SUV is un-American, no matter how many American flags
            you stick on it.

            Walking: it's what humans were made for.

            Love people, not cars.
          • dawie_coetzee
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 23, 2007
              People need better cities, not better brains

              Cars are for fun, not for transport

              wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > About 35 years ago, a "Desiderata" made the rounds of
              > poster shops and became a staple of American culture.
              > I see the need for a similar cultural artifact, today
              > updated for the Internet.
            • Chris Radcliff
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 23, 2007
                "All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking." - Nietzsche
              • Karen Sandness
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 23, 2007
                  A quotation from the movie "Men with Guns":
                  A city man is driving down a road in an unnamed Central American
                  country, looking for a certain village. He stops to ask a peasant, who
                  informs him that he has passed by the village, which is located off the
                  main road. The city man protests that he didn't see any sign of a
                  village.
                  "You can't see anything in a car," the peasant replies.

                • dubluth
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 23, 2007
                    However big your engine it won't begin to pay you back in time saved
                    without a nearly empty road paid for by someone else.
                  • dubluth
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
                      wrote:
                      > The slogan that starts
                      > "However big your engine"

                      leave it outside the city.

                      you may ditch it.
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
                        >leave it outside the city.
                        >
                        >you may ditch it.

                        OK, these get rewritten:

                        Cities are for people, not for cars. Leave it at home.

                        Just park it!

                        come on folks, more, better, now!!!!!

                        ----- ### -----
                      • Todd Edelman
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
                          You also have legs
                          or
                          You have legs, too

                          Todd Edelman
                          Director
                          Green Idea Factory

                          Korunní 72
                          CZ-10100 Praha 10
                          Czech Republic

                          ++420 605 915 970
                          ++420 222 517 832
                          Skype: toddedelman

                          edelman@...
                          http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

                          Green Idea Factory,
                          a member of World Carfree Network
                        • Todd Edelman
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
                            It will be a great day when all school children can walk to school
                            safely (again), and the energy companies need to hold a bake sale in
                            order to build a parking lot.

                            Todd Edelman
                            Director
                            Green Idea Factory

                            Korunní 72
                            CZ-10100 Praha 10
                            Czech Republic

                            ++420 605 915 970
                            ++420 222 517 832
                            Skype: toddedelman

                            edelman@...
                            http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

                            Green Idea Factory,
                            a member of World Carfree Network
                          • Simon Baddeley
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
                              Car¹s scar

                              From: "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...>
                              Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:16:22 -0500
                              To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
                              Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] Re: The Zen of Cars, Bikes, and Feet

                              >leave it outside the city.
                              >
                              >you may ditch it.

                              OK, these get rewritten:

                              Cities are for people, not for cars. Leave it at home.

                              Just park it!

                              come on folks, more, better, now!!!!!

                              ----- ### -----
                              J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
                              mailbox@... <mailto:mailbox%40carfree.com>
                              http://www.carfree.com

                            • Todd Edelman
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
                                If we had been designed for cities full of cars, we would have no lungs,
                                and air bags on the outside of our bodies.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
                                  I hope to live to see the opening of Jeremy Clarkson Heritage Motorway where
                                  a carefully preserved stretch of a kilometre of dual carriageway is opened
                                  every week in the summer so that young children and their families (arriving
                                  by train and bicycle and on foot) can go sample vintage motorway service
                                  station food, experience a virtual reality gridlock and witness the noise of
                                  a solid stream of motorised traffic via a specially designed surround sound
                                  room on the site. On special occasions veteran volunteers who recall the age
                                  of the car will re-enact a motorway traffic pile up with actors in the role
                                  of emergency services and mock-up casualties with wreckage strewn the length
                                  of the site. In the memorial cinema there will be historic reconstructions
                                  of the early autobahns built by the Nazis, the blighting by motorways
                                  swathes of countryside as well their role in the diminishing of urban life
                                  and their contribution to urban sprawl that is with us to this day
                                  (collection boxes will be passed round in aid of impoverished by suburban
                                  deprivation) as well as stirring films of the international anti-roads
                                  campaigns that helped bring this disastrous period in history to an end. Of
                                  course there will be those who argue it would have ended anyway for economic
                                  reasons but history needs its stories set to music along with the the heroes
                                  and villains who played it.

                                  Simon

                                  From: Todd Edelman <edelman@...>
                                  Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:34:09 +0100
                                  To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>

                                  edelman@... <mailto:edelman%40greenidea.eu>
                                  http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

                                  Green Idea Factory,
                                  a member of World Carfree Network

                                • Jym Dyer
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 24, 2007
                                    CARS
                                    ~~~~

                                    Read poetry.
                                    Make peace with all except the motorcar.
                                    Cars suck. Ride your bike.
                                    -- Schwinn ad copy

                                    BIKES
                                    ~~~~~

                                    A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the
                                    market, riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the
                                    monastery and had dismounted, the teacher asked the students,
                                    "Why are you riding your bicycles?"

                                    The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack
                                    of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my
                                    back!" The teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart
                                    boy! When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over like
                                    I do."

                                    The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and
                                    fields pass by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended
                                    the second student, "Your eyes are open, and you see the world."

                                    The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content
                                    to chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the
                                    third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly
                                    trued wheel."

                                    The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in
                                    harmony with all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and
                                    said to the fourth student, "You are riding on the golden path
                                    of non-harming."

                                    The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my
                                    bicycle." The teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and
                                    said, "I am your student!"

                                    -- From _The_Quotable_Cyclist_ (Bill Strickland)

                                    FEET
                                    ~~~~

                                    The Other Way of Lao-Tsu: A journey of 1000 miles occasionally
                                    begins with the realization that 1000 miles is a hell of a long
                                    way to walk.
                                    -- Cartoon in _National_Lampoon_

                                    <_Jym_>
                                  • tag_c2_hu
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 25, 2007
                                      "No city should be too large for a man to walk out of in a morning."
                                      Cyril Connolly

                                      This and some other nice quotes about walking to be found on this
                                      page:
                                      http://studenthealth.oregonstate.edu/beaverstrides/quotes.php

                                      Starting after the Seneca quote mid-page. One has to be selective
                                      though.

                                      Andras Toth
                                    • tag_c2_hu
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 25, 2007
                                        Some nice bits here too:
                                        https://www.greenway.org/advocacy/advosound.htm

                                        Andras Toth
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 25, 2007
                                          some stuff from:

                                          https://www.greenway.org/advocacy/advosound.htm

                                          Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
                                          -JOHN F. KENNEDY, Thirty-fifth US President (1961-63), 1917-63

                                          I thought of that [the theory of relativity] while riding my bike.
                                          -ALBERT EINSTEIN, American scientist, 1879-1955

                                          too wordy:

                                          Without question, bicycling is an efficient, economical and environmentally sound form of transportation and recreation. Bicycling is a great activity for families, recreational riders and commuters. Hillary, Chelsea and I have bicycles. (President Bill Clinton, in Bicycling magazine, 1992)

                                          Dear Lord, if you'll pick 'em up, I'll put 'em down.
                                          -WALKER'S PRAYER

                                          A good walker leaves no tracks.
                                          -LAO-TZU, Chinese philosopher, 604-531 BC

                                          ----- ### -----
                                        • Simon Baddeley
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 26, 2007
                                            Chapter 3: Interstitial Living from Daniel Behrman's The Man Who Loved
                                            Bicycles

                                            The automobile takes fifty-five thousand lives a year in the Unites States
                                            alone. How much life does the bicycle give every year everywhere? I do not
                                            know, there are no statistics, I can only judge from my own experiences.

                                            http://www.bikereader.com/contributors/behrman/mw3.html

                                            Simon
                                            (I¹ll be in Venice Sunday after next ­ on my bike between train and ferry on
                                            the way to Greece)

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 26, 2007
                                              Roads aren't bad...
                                              ... it's how you use them.
                                              Streets are good....
                                              .... so don't abuse them.

                                              Chris Radcliff wrote:

                                              > In Zen terms: "The farther you move away from a road, the healthier
                                              > you are. Why not move your whole city away from roads?" [...]

                                              Todd Edelman
                                              Director
                                              Green Idea Factory

                                              Korunní 72
                                              CZ-10100 Praha 10
                                              Czech Republic

                                              ++420 605 915 970
                                              ++420 222 517 832
                                              Skype: toddedelman

                                              edelman@...
                                              http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

                                              Green Idea Factory,
                                              a member of World Carfree Network
                                            • Debra Efroymson
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 1 4:56 AM
                                                End world hunger. Feed people, not cars.

                                                The worst design flaw is found not in individual cars,
                                                but in the whole system of designing cities to
                                                accommodate them.

                                                Road kill is no accident. End the slaughter - travel
                                                by gentler means.

                                                http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail