Re: [carfree_cities] BBC Series: The Noisy Ape

  • Mike Morin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2007
      Here is the introduction to a song that I wrote called "Oil Junkies"

      The introduction is set to the Bob Dylan tune, "Watching the River Flow".

      The intro. goes like this:

      What's the matter with me?
      I've got too much to say
      I'd be out there yelling at the top of my lungs
      and no one's listening anyway
      Think I'll go down by the highway, by the river, by the byway
      where the cars and trucks are rolling fast
      and say, "do you know how much noise you make
      and that we're running out of gas"?

      The rest of the song (an original tune) goes:

      (Chorus)
      because we're
      oil junkies, oil junkies
      waiting for our next oil change
      yes we're a thirty weight wonder
      (alternatively, a heavy weight blunder)
      slowly going under
      I think it's time we rearrange
      (alternatitively it's well past time we rearrange)

      (First verse):
      Well, the Arab man
      living on all that sand
      he's got us over a barrel
      and Exxon, Gulf, Shell and the rest
      of those monopolies over here in the west
      they've got us over a barrel

      (repeat chorus - with alternative lines)

      (second verse):

      well, you're driving here
      you're flying there
      you're shipping everything
      every which way and where
      you're ruining the soil, the water, and the air
      there's only so much oil left in the ground
      pretty soon there will be none around
      but we don't seem to even care

      (repeat chorus).

      I wrote that song more than thirty years ago (with some minor adjustments).
      I'd like to add a verse dealing with global warming.
      Any ideas?

      Workin' for peace and cooperation,

      Mike Morin