RE: a simple (and effective??) campaign

  • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2007
      Hi,

      I just found this (see link below) and thought it was an interesting way to
      get a message through (and cheap!)… of course, there are legal issues
      involved:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/39539170@N00/341423913/

      Best regards,

      Carlos F. Pardo
      Coordinador de Proyecto
      GTZ - Proyecto de Transporte Sostenible (SUTP, SUTP-LAC)
      Cl 126 # 52A-28 of 404
      Bogotá D.C., Colombia
      Tel: +57 (1) 215 7812

      Mobile: +57 (3) 15 296 0662
      e-mail: <mailto:carlos.pardo@...> carlos.pardo@...
      Página: <http://www.sutp.org/> www.sutp.org

    • Jason Meggs
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 17, 2007
        Hi,

        A bit on this based on my observations, seeing these in the field.

        These signs have been used in the Bay Area for perhaps 8+ years. I don't
        know how effective they are -- that's an interesting research topic -- but
        they certainly get noticed to a point. (Given the billions spent
        advertising the automobile, the almost negligent advertising for
        alternatives, and the dramatically higher effectiveness of
        person-to-person contact as compared to impersonal mass marketing, one
        could theorize that they are at least somewhat effective.)

        One practical drawback of the stickers is that they are not on a
        reflective background, so at night they look like a black rectangle on the
        white glare of the sign. I suppose someone could print the letters on
        clear and take advantage of the underlying reflectivity, rather than
        trying to match a solid red.

        Some local activists took to stenciling instead, which is probably more
        effective in terms of night visibility and perhaps more personal. But
        yes, it does have legal repercussions, as this article attests:

        http://eastbayexpress.com/Issues/2006-06-14/news/bottomfeeder.html

        Stickering may be less of a legal risk as a sticker is probably more
        easily removed without a trace. From an environmental standpoint, I'm not
        sure if stickers or paint are worse. Paint tends to look less
        professional, and more like a vandal's work, but then also more personal
        (again, personal contacts are more effective). Vandalism is a divisive
        issue which may in theory *drive* more people to be alienated by the
        message, while at the same time may galvanize others to change behavior
        while keeping the issue alive and in the public eye (this reminds one of
        the Critical Mass debates).

        Jason

        On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Carlos F. Pardo SUTP wrote:

        > Hi,
        >

        > I just found this (see link below) and thought it was an interesting way to
        > get a message through (and cheap!)… of course, there are legal issues
        > involved:
        >

        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/39539170@N00/341423913/
        >

        > Best regards,
        >

        > Carlos F. Pardo
        > Coordinador de Proyecto
        > GTZ - Proyecto de Transporte Sostenible (SUTP, SUTP-LAC)
        > Cl 126 # 52A-28 of 404
        > Bogotá D.C., Colombia
        â> Tel: +57 (1) 215 7812

        > Mobile: +57 (3) 15 296 0662
        > e-mail: <mailto:carlos.pardo@...> carlos.pardo@...
        > Página: <http://www.sutp.org/> www.sutp.org

        €
        “to-pers

      • Todd Edelman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 17, 2007
          Hi,

          Can I suggest that perhaps several years ago these were a novelty and
          therefore effective, at least as a conversation (conservation) starter,
          but then more recently they just provide a little ego-boost for the
          stickerer (or stenciler)? Especially in Berkeley, where people are used
          to activist things which are 1000x more disruptive? If we move on to
          "(stop) ignoring global warming" or "... ignoring your neighbours" or
          "....not knowing how to communicate"? would it be useful? How about
          (keeping this in mind: <http://www.shared-space.org>*) ".... stop 'stop
          signs'"?

          - T

          *I think the part of the "Shared Space" a.k.a. Naked Streets thing
          concerning communication is brilliant, but that the cars-are-allowed bit
          is problematic, given that so many of the car problems continue under a
          Shared Space scheme. Of course, without the cars, Shared Space loses its
          raison d'etre, right?

          Jason Meggs wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > A bit on this based on my observations, seeing these in the field.
          >
          > These signs have been used in the Bay Area for perhaps 8+ years. I don't
          > know how effective they are -- that's an interesting research topic --
          > but
          > they certainly get noticed to a point.

          Todd Edelman
          Director
          Green Idea Factory

          Korunní 72
          CZ-10100 Praha 10
          Czech Republic

          ++420 605 915 970
          ++420 222 517 832
          Skype: toddedelman

          edelman@...
          http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

          Green Idea Factory,
          a member of World Carfree Network
        • Debra Efroymson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 24, 2007
            Have people seen this? EURO WHO guidelines on city
            design...I have only skimmed it but so far it looks
            really good! A potential lobbying tool, not just for
            EURO, but to show other govts what they should be
            doing...in some countries, at least, WHO has a lot of
            pull.
            Debra

            Promoting physical activity and active living in urban
            environments

            THE ROLE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENTS

            THE SOLID FACTS
            The Regional Office for Europe of the World Health
            Organization, 2006

            Available online as PDF file [66p.] at:
            http://www.euro.who.int/document/e89498.pdf

            “…..The evidence on the built environment and physical
            activity presented here comes from two major sources:
            studies on urban planning that primarily examine the
            connection between the built environment and walking
            and cycling as modes of transport and studies on
            physical activity that examine the connection between
            the urban environment and physical activity in its
            broadest sense, including active transport, sport,
            recreational activity and playing in the park.

            Together, they indicate the importance of
            accessibility (determined by land-use patterns and the
            transport system together), design and aesthetics in
            promoting physical activity and active living.

            The causal relationships between active living and the
            physical and social environments may be considerably
            more complicated. However, creating opportunities for
            active living should be a priority in urban planning
            that is concerned with public health, a sustainable
            environment, cost-effectiveness, social cohesion and
            the creation of a people-friendly, attractive city….”

            Content:

            1. Active living, health and local leadership

            2. Physical activity: a vital investment

            3. Challenges and opportunities in the built
            environment

            4. Challenges and opportunities in the social
            environment

            5. Population groups needing special attention

            6. Settings for physical activity

            7. Designing to promote healthy weight

            8. Putting it all together