fear and urban structures

  • Debra Efroymson
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
      It gets worse, recently four children died in a fire
      here in Bangladesh, after their parents/uncle locked
      them in to go to the doctor. If they had trusted
      their neighbors, it wouldn't have happened. In our
      own experience, we were successfully robbed after
      moving to a higher-income neighborhood, while in a
      lower-income one, our neighbors prevented the one
      robbery attempt. (We HAD to move, partly because the
      smell of sewage became overpowering.)
      A character in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales says it
      very well, after she is beaten up by her husband's
      enemies: the best security is a good relationship
      with your neighbors. No wall or security force will
      save you if your neighbors are out to get you.
      Just another reason why we are promoting
      environments conducive to outdoor interactions in
      urban areas. But everyone I talk to here says, focus
      on the lower-income groups, because the rich care
      about prestige, not quality of life. Can it be
      true????
      Debra

      --- Simon Baddeley <s.j.baddeley@...> wrote:

      > ... And my piece on ³burb cowards²

      http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2005/12/27/75328/953

      Need Mail bonding?
    • Debra Efroymson
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
        And the belief that the economy must always continue
        growing. If the post-WWII housing crisis had been
        addressed through building of apartments, people would
        have bought a lot fewer cars and appliances.
        Isolated, single-family houses were seen as a great
        way to encourage large purchases which would in turn
        create jobs. As houses became a financial investment
        rather than a home in a community, owners worried more
        about potential (though apparently rarely realized)
        drops in property value if blacks moved into the
        neighborhood, than about integrated, positive,
        environments.
        If people were happier, they would buy fewer
        unnecessary things, and capitalism, at least as
        currently defined, would falter. Unless we shake our
        belief that the economy must always grow through
        unfettered consumerism, I don't see much hope for
        changing government policy away from encouraging
        suburbia.
        Of course I agree that racism is also a factor!!
        but the middle class are going to be far more
        concerned about property values than integrated
        neighborhoods.
        Debra

        --- "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

        Most of
        > the
        > housing policies from the 1930s, which spawned
        > suburbia,
        > are, at their heart, racist.

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
      • Jason Meggs
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 17, 2007
          On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Joel Siegel wrote:

          >>> As for *why* Americans approve of this jack-booted approach
          >>> to "law enforcement," I just don't know. It's entirely clear
          >>> that they do approve, however.
          >>
          >> =v= Approval is generally coupled with a foolish notion that
          >> the police are acting methodically and not abusing their power,
          >> two tests which the cop failed in this case. This notion
          >> is based on what most white Americans see; those who've seen
          >> otherwise tend very quickly to dispense with this notion.
          >> <_Jym_>
          >
          > We US'ers (at least the 'white' ones, as Jym notes) have been carefully
          > trained, especially over the last thirty-odd years, to Be Very Afraid of
          > The Criminals (and, of course, now The Terrorists as well), and thus to
          > give the police more and more power. From passing draconian
          > 'anti-crime' laws to electing 'tough on crime' judges to electing 'tough
          > on crime' politicians who appoint 'tough on crime' judges, to deferring
          > to the police (especially on juries) when it comes to misconduct, to
          > giving the police a free pass except MAYBE when it's caught on video
          > (and often not even then), we have pretty much created a police state
          > here.
          >
          > Perhaps off-topic, but an excerpt from Milton Mayer's 1955 book _They
          > Thought They Were Free: The Germans, 1933-45_ have been circulating the
          > net and appearing on what little progressive radio we have here. The
          > parallels are chilling. The book is available from University of
          > Chicago Press, Paper US$22.00sp ISBN: 978-0-226-51192-4 (ISBN-10:
          > 0-226-51192-8).

          Of note, the history of minimum parking requirements, a constant obstacle
          to carfree proposals, originated in Nazi Germany, with the following quote
          attributed to you-know-who:

          "Above all, it is the young who succumb to this magic.
          They experience the triumph of the motorcar with the full
          temperament of their impressionable hearts. It must be
          seen as a sign of the invigorating power of our people
          that they give themselves with such fanatic devotion to
          this invention, the invention which provides the basis
          and structure of our modern traffic."
          -- Adolf Hitler

          Further information as to the ties between U.S. auto makers and oil
          companies to the Nazis is well documented. (For example, Ford was given a
          public award by Hitler; U.S. auto makers helped build Nazi war machinery.)

          Jason