Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Fear in the Streets?

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
      And then Rick replied while I was typing:

      >Actually, blakely & Snyder, in their book, "fortress America," have
      >examined exactly this. There's an excerpt on my zone at:
      >
      ><http://bicyclefixation.com/fortress.htm>http://bicyclefixation.com/fortress.htm

      and I'll paste the quote from that page right here
      because it's so germane:

      The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself
      Here's a couple of quotes from Edward J. Blakely and Mary Gail Snyder's Fortress America: Gated Communities in the United States (Brookings Institution Press, 1997):

      In an open city...people of different colors and incomes must negotiate their mutual fate together. In some respects, they learn to value one another more highly, and social networks are expanded. In socially isolated environments [such as gated suburbs], social distance leads to stereotyping and misunderstanding, which in turn leads to fear and even greater distance. A resident in one of our [suburban] focus groups exemplified this dynamic when she told us that she never left her downtown San Francisco office building, even for lunch, for fear of people on the streets. Her building is located on a central street of department stores and offices, populated at lunch hour mainly by businesspeople and shoppers. But because it is a public space where anyone may go, it is too uncontrolled for her comfort, too unpredictable. Unlike her gated suburb, its openness increases the vulnerability she already feels to an unacceptable level.

      * * * * * * * * * * *

      As one citizen told Constance Perin in her study of community and place in American life: "See, you have to understand the fundamental feeling in the suburbs is fear, let's face it. The basic emotional feeling is fear. Fear of blacks, fear of physical harm, fear of their kids being subjected to drugs, which are identified as a black probem, fear of all the urban ills. They feel [that] by moving to the suburbs they've run away from it, in fact, they haven't, in reality they haven't, but in their own mind's eye they've moved away from the problem."

      ----- ### -----
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
        ... And my piece on ³burb cowards²

        http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2005/12/27/75328/953

        I think that anyone who is so frightened of their fellow humans that they
        are prepared to move house to a "safer" area and "stay in their car" for
        fear of urban predators and watch their children constantly to stave off the
        risk of "stranger dangers", might be referred to as lacking moral fibre (LMF
        I think it used to be called) and contributing to fear in the population -
        for which there used, in war time, to be penalties. I am familiar with these
        fears. I have long struggled with them - not for myself now - but for my
        children. I recognise them and seek to control them. I haven't moved house
        from the inner suburb of Handsworth in Birmingham (UK) - to the continuing
        surprise of some traders and estate agents who imply in various ways a
        mismatch between my apparent income and social class and my choice of
        address. (Changes in urban living are fortuitously going to make our choice
        of home look extraordinarily far sighted to these people in another few
        years - but that's another matter - and we can all be hostages to
        fortune.).....

        Simon

        From: Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...>
        Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:24:07 -0800
        To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Fear in the Streets?

        On Jan 15, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Karen Sandness wrote:

        > No one talks about this fear, because, after all, we're all
        > supposed to
        > be anti-racist and to avoid "fomenting class warfare," but in fact,
        > racism and prejudice against the lower classes have played and
        > continue
        > to play a major role in the formation and ongoing growth of the
        > car-dependent suburb.
        Actually, blakely & Snyder, in their book, "fortress America," have
        examined exactly this. There's an excerpt on my zone at:

        http://bicyclefixation.com/fortress.htm

        Richard
        http://www.rickrise.com
        http://www.bicyclefixation.com

      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
          Good on you Karen. But if you are spending a large part of your earnings to
          send children to private school and to enjoy access to private space (tennis
          clubs and health clubs versus public parks) and travel long distances to
          salubrious suburbs, cognitive dissonance almost requires that you amplify
          and distort your worst fears about the places you¹ve abandoned to justify
          the money spent on escaping them. I have met people who¹ve gone to live in
          foreign countries to get away from the Œpace of life¹ in the UK ­ which is a
          coded form of this fear of the Œother¹ in our midst. I do not deny that some
          of the ennui of oppressive poverty (being without many material possessions
          is not what I mean) can rub off on anyone living in proximity to
          hopelessness and the consolations bred by such despair, but can¹t the life
          of the suburbs turn out dispiriting? I do not deny that there are places
          where you can leave the house key in the front door and others where that
          would be unwise, and I do not deny that the species faces fearful challenges
          ­ not the least being attempts by thousands of people Œto get away from it
          all¹ who end up up creating more of what they sought to escape.

          From: Karen Sandness <ksandness@...>
          Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:01:19 -0600
          To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [carfree_cities] Re: What every Brit should know about jaywalking

          Actually, this topic is not tangential to discussions of car-free
          living. When I was car-free in Portland, one of the most common
          questions people asked was, "Aren't you afraid to take the bus/light
          rail at night?"

        • Debra Efroymson
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
            It gets worse, recently four children died in a fire
            here in Bangladesh, after their parents/uncle locked
            them in to go to the doctor. If they had trusted
            their neighbors, it wouldn't have happened. In our
            own experience, we were successfully robbed after
            moving to a higher-income neighborhood, while in a
            lower-income one, our neighbors prevented the one
            robbery attempt. (We HAD to move, partly because the
            smell of sewage became overpowering.)
            A character in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales says it
            very well, after she is beaten up by her husband's
            enemies: the best security is a good relationship
            with your neighbors. No wall or security force will
            save you if your neighbors are out to get you.
            Just another reason why we are promoting
            environments conducive to outdoor interactions in
            urban areas. But everyone I talk to here says, focus
            on the lower-income groups, because the rich care
            about prestige, not quality of life. Can it be
            true????
            Debra

            --- Simon Baddeley <s.j.baddeley@...> wrote:

            > ... And my piece on ³burb cowards²

            http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2005/12/27/75328/953

            Need Mail bonding?
          • Debra Efroymson
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
              And the belief that the economy must always continue
              growing. If the post-WWII housing crisis had been
              addressed through building of apartments, people would
              have bought a lot fewer cars and appliances.
              Isolated, single-family houses were seen as a great
              way to encourage large purchases which would in turn
              create jobs. As houses became a financial investment
              rather than a home in a community, owners worried more
              about potential (though apparently rarely realized)
              drops in property value if blacks moved into the
              neighborhood, than about integrated, positive,
              environments.
              If people were happier, they would buy fewer
              unnecessary things, and capitalism, at least as
              currently defined, would falter. Unless we shake our
              belief that the economy must always grow through
              unfettered consumerism, I don't see much hope for
              changing government policy away from encouraging
              suburbia.
              Of course I agree that racism is also a factor!!
              but the middle class are going to be far more
              concerned about property values than integrated
              neighborhoods.
              Debra

              --- "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

              Most of
              > the
              > housing policies from the 1930s, which spawned
              > suburbia,
              > are, at their heart, racist.

              http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
            • Jason Meggs
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 17, 2007
                On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Joel Siegel wrote:

                >>> As for *why* Americans approve of this jack-booted approach
                >>> to "law enforcement," I just don't know. It's entirely clear
                >>> that they do approve, however.
                >>
                >> =v= Approval is generally coupled with a foolish notion that
                >> the police are acting methodically and not abusing their power,
                >> two tests which the cop failed in this case. This notion
                >> is based on what most white Americans see; those who've seen
                >> otherwise tend very quickly to dispense with this notion.
                >> <_Jym_>
                >
                > We US'ers (at least the 'white' ones, as Jym notes) have been carefully
                > trained, especially over the last thirty-odd years, to Be Very Afraid of
                > The Criminals (and, of course, now The Terrorists as well), and thus to
                > give the police more and more power. From passing draconian
                > 'anti-crime' laws to electing 'tough on crime' judges to electing 'tough
                > on crime' politicians who appoint 'tough on crime' judges, to deferring
                > to the police (especially on juries) when it comes to misconduct, to
                > giving the police a free pass except MAYBE when it's caught on video
                > (and often not even then), we have pretty much created a police state
                > here.
                >
                > Perhaps off-topic, but an excerpt from Milton Mayer's 1955 book _They
                > Thought They Were Free: The Germans, 1933-45_ have been circulating the
                > net and appearing on what little progressive radio we have here. The
                > parallels are chilling. The book is available from University of
                > Chicago Press, Paper US$22.00sp ISBN: 978-0-226-51192-4 (ISBN-10:
                > 0-226-51192-8).

                Of note, the history of minimum parking requirements, a constant obstacle
                to carfree proposals, originated in Nazi Germany, with the following quote
                attributed to you-know-who:

                "Above all, it is the young who succumb to this magic.
                They experience the triumph of the motorcar with the full
                temperament of their impressionable hearts. It must be
                seen as a sign of the invigorating power of our people
                that they give themselves with such fanatic devotion to
                this invention, the invention which provides the basis
                and structure of our modern traffic."
                -- Adolf Hitler

                Further information as to the ties between U.S. auto makers and oil
                companies to the Nazis is well documented. (For example, Ford was given a
                public award by Hitler; U.S. auto makers helped build Nazi war machinery.)

                Jason