Re: What every Brit should know about jaywalking

  • Huang Eu Chai
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 14, 2007
      Here in Singapore, it is an offence to jaywalk within 50m of a
      signalised, subway or overhead bridge crossing, the penalty being a
      small fine. Otherwise thereis no restriction.

      Nevertheless, many (including myself) flaunt this ruling, either
      crossing within the restrcited zone, or else crossing on red if the
      traffic is sufficiently low. I have been told of people being caught
      and fined before many years, but haven't seen or heard of any
      enforcement in the last few years.

      The police probably have better things to do than running after
      jaywalkers.

      Eu Chai
    • Karen Sandness
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
        Actually, this topic is not tangential to discussions of car-free
        living. When I was car-free in Portland, one of the most common
        questions people asked was, "Aren't you afraid to take the bus/light
        rail at night?" Here in Minneapolis, the inconvenience and lack of
        connections are what keep even atransit nerd like me from going fully
        car-free, but for most people, it seems to be fear of crime, or perhaps
        more accurately, a prejudice that assumes that all dark-skinned people
        are dangerous.

        When I attended a convention in Los Angeles in 2001, I met up with
        Richard Risemberg, who took me on a brisk evening walk through some
        interesting neighborhoods and then gave me transit directions for
        returning to my hotel. All went well, and my fellow riders, almost all
        of whom were either African-American or Latino, were friendly and
        helpful. Not once on the trip, which required a transfer to the subway,
        did I feel threatened.

        Yet the next day at the convention, I had lunch in a group that
        included a more typical local resident. We were asking him for ideas on
        things to do if we didn't want to attend the afternoon sessions. He
        sensibly discouraged people from going to places that really were too
        far away for an afternoon jaunt (Long Beach pier, Disneyland, etc.),
        but when it came to more conveniently located attractions, he insisted
        that we would have to hire cabs, because it was "too dangerous" to walk
        or ride transit.

        I wish I'd told him that I'd already ridden the bus and subway the
        previous night and had explored Chinatown, Little Tokyo, and Olvera
        Street on foot and on the "Dash" buses that circulate in the downtown
        area.

        Fear of public transit and public spaces is pervasive in American
        society. The first manifestations I remember are New York-based
        comedians making comments about how dangerous it was to ride the New
        York subway or visit Central Park, a shtick that one still hears
        occasionally. The fear can reach absurd levels, as when when the local
        rumor mill turned one unfortunate shooting at a light rail stop in
        Portland into "hundreds of people have been killed on MAX." In
        Minneapolis, stories of violent crime so dominate the newscasts that
        people like my mother, whose view of the world is heavily mediated by
        television these days, tells me that she doesn't like it that I go
        downtown.

        It's silly but real. No one stops to think that the presence of large
        numbers of people actually deters violent crime.

        Advocates of car-free cities in the States have to acknowledge the
        general public's media-induced fear of crime. The rich have always
        insulated themselves from the larger society, but what is different
        about the current situation is that middle-class Americans are now
        allying themselves with the rich rather than the working class and
        poor, sequestering themselves in rolling steel isolation booths and
        subdivisions twenty miles outside the central city.

        No one talks about this fear, because, after all, we're all supposed to
        be anti-racist and to avoid "fomenting class warfare," but in fact,
        racism and prejudice against the lower classes have played and continue
        to play a major role in the formation and ongoing growth of the
        car-dependent suburb.

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
          On Jan 15, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Karen Sandness wrote:

          > No one talks about this fear, because, after all, we're all
          > supposed to
          > be anti-racist and to avoid "fomenting class warfare," but in fact,
          > racism and prejudice against the lower classes have played and
          > continue
          > to play a major role in the formation and ongoing growth of the
          > car-dependent suburb.
          Actually, blakely & Snyder, in their book, "fortress America," have
          examined exactly this. There's an excerpt on my zone at:

          http://bicyclefixation.com/fortress.htm

          Richard
          http://www.rickrise.com
          http://www.bicyclefixation.com

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
            Karen Sandness said:

            >It's silly but real. No one stops to think that the presence of large
            >numbers of people actually deters violent crime.

            Nothing, in fact, is more effective.

            >Advocates of car-free cities in the States have to acknowledge the
            >general public's media-induced fear of crime. The rich have always
            >insulated themselves from the larger society,

            No, not always, even in the USA. Today, however, the super-rich
            know that they have their obscene wealth mostly by theft and
            are rightly afraid of those from whom they have stolen it.

            >but what is different
            >about the current situation is that middle-class Americans are now
            >allying themselves with the rich rather than the working class and
            >poor, sequestering themselves in rolling steel isolation booths and
            >subdivisions twenty miles outside the central city.

            The middle class has, of course, much more in common with
            the poor than the rich. Why they have made this mistaken
            alliance with the rich is a little difficult to understand.

            >No one talks about this fear, because, after all, we're all supposed to
            >be anti-racist and to avoid "fomenting class warfare," but in fact,
            >racism and prejudice against the lower classes have played and continue
            >to play a major role in the formation and ongoing growth of the
            >car-dependent suburb.

            Racism, especially covert, has been one of the most powerful
            forces in American life since the Civil War. Most of the
            housing policies from the 1930s, which spawned suburbia,
            are, at their heart, racist. It really is time to end this.

            Regards,

            ----- ### -----
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
              And then Rick replied while I was typing:

              >Actually, blakely & Snyder, in their book, "fortress America," have
              >examined exactly this. There's an excerpt on my zone at:
              >
              ><http://bicyclefixation.com/fortress.htm>http://bicyclefixation.com/fortress.htm

              and I'll paste the quote from that page right here
              because it's so germane:

              The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself
              Here's a couple of quotes from Edward J. Blakely and Mary Gail Snyder's Fortress America: Gated Communities in the United States (Brookings Institution Press, 1997):

              In an open city...people of different colors and incomes must negotiate their mutual fate together. In some respects, they learn to value one another more highly, and social networks are expanded. In socially isolated environments [such as gated suburbs], social distance leads to stereotyping and misunderstanding, which in turn leads to fear and even greater distance. A resident in one of our [suburban] focus groups exemplified this dynamic when she told us that she never left her downtown San Francisco office building, even for lunch, for fear of people on the streets. Her building is located on a central street of department stores and offices, populated at lunch hour mainly by businesspeople and shoppers. But because it is a public space where anyone may go, it is too uncontrolled for her comfort, too unpredictable. Unlike her gated suburb, its openness increases the vulnerability she already feels to an unacceptable level.

              * * * * * * * * * * *

              As one citizen told Constance Perin in her study of community and place in American life: "See, you have to understand the fundamental feeling in the suburbs is fear, let's face it. The basic emotional feeling is fear. Fear of blacks, fear of physical harm, fear of their kids being subjected to drugs, which are identified as a black probem, fear of all the urban ills. They feel [that] by moving to the suburbs they've run away from it, in fact, they haven't, in reality they haven't, but in their own mind's eye they've moved away from the problem."

              ----- ### -----
            • Simon Baddeley
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
                ... And my piece on ³burb cowards²

                http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2005/12/27/75328/953

                I think that anyone who is so frightened of their fellow humans that they
                are prepared to move house to a "safer" area and "stay in their car" for
                fear of urban predators and watch their children constantly to stave off the
                risk of "stranger dangers", might be referred to as lacking moral fibre (LMF
                I think it used to be called) and contributing to fear in the population -
                for which there used, in war time, to be penalties. I am familiar with these
                fears. I have long struggled with them - not for myself now - but for my
                children. I recognise them and seek to control them. I haven't moved house
                from the inner suburb of Handsworth in Birmingham (UK) - to the continuing
                surprise of some traders and estate agents who imply in various ways a
                mismatch between my apparent income and social class and my choice of
                address. (Changes in urban living are fortuitously going to make our choice
                of home look extraordinarily far sighted to these people in another few
                years - but that's another matter - and we can all be hostages to
                fortune.).....

                Simon

                From: Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...>
                Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:24:07 -0800
                To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Fear in the Streets?

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
                  Good on you Karen. But if you are spending a large part of your earnings to
                  send children to private school and to enjoy access to private space (tennis
                  clubs and health clubs versus public parks) and travel long distances to
                  salubrious suburbs, cognitive dissonance almost requires that you amplify
                  and distort your worst fears about the places you¹ve abandoned to justify
                  the money spent on escaping them. I have met people who¹ve gone to live in
                  foreign countries to get away from the Œpace of life¹ in the UK ­ which is a
                  coded form of this fear of the Œother¹ in our midst. I do not deny that some
                  of the ennui of oppressive poverty (being without many material possessions
                  is not what I mean) can rub off on anyone living in proximity to
                  hopelessness and the consolations bred by such despair, but can¹t the life
                  of the suburbs turn out dispiriting? I do not deny that there are places
                  where you can leave the house key in the front door and others where that
                  would be unwise, and I do not deny that the species faces fearful challenges
                  ­ not the least being attempts by thousands of people Œto get away from it
                  all¹ who end up up creating more of what they sought to escape.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
                    It gets worse, recently four children died in a fire
                    here in Bangladesh, after their parents/uncle locked
                    them in to go to the doctor. If they had trusted
                    their neighbors, it wouldn't have happened. In our
                    own experience, we were successfully robbed after
                    moving to a higher-income neighborhood, while in a
                    lower-income one, our neighbors prevented the one
                    robbery attempt. (We HAD to move, partly because the
                    smell of sewage became overpowering.)
                    A character in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales says it
                    very well, after she is beaten up by her husband's
                    enemies: the best security is a good relationship
                    with your neighbors. No wall or security force will
                    save you if your neighbors are out to get you.
                    Just another reason why we are promoting
                    environments conducive to outdoor interactions in
                    urban areas. But everyone I talk to here says, focus
                    on the lower-income groups, because the rich care
                    about prestige, not quality of life. Can it be
                    true????
                    Debra

                    --- Simon Baddeley <s.j.baddeley@...> wrote:

                    > ... And my piece on ³burb cowards²

                    http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2005/12/27/75328/953

                    Need Mail bonding?
                  • Debra Efroymson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
                      And the belief that the economy must always continue
                      growing. If the post-WWII housing crisis had been
                      addressed through building of apartments, people would
                      have bought a lot fewer cars and appliances.
                      Isolated, single-family houses were seen as a great
                      way to encourage large purchases which would in turn
                      create jobs. As houses became a financial investment
                      rather than a home in a community, owners worried more
                      about potential (though apparently rarely realized)
                      drops in property value if blacks moved into the
                      neighborhood, than about integrated, positive,
                      environments.
                      If people were happier, they would buy fewer
                      unnecessary things, and capitalism, at least as
                      currently defined, would falter. Unless we shake our
                      belief that the economy must always grow through
                      unfettered consumerism, I don't see much hope for
                      changing government policy away from encouraging
                      suburbia.
                      Of course I agree that racism is also a factor!!
                      but the middle class are going to be far more
                      concerned about property values than integrated
                      neighborhoods.
                      Debra

                      --- "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

                      Most of
                      > the
                      > housing policies from the 1930s, which spawned
                      > suburbia,
                      > are, at their heart, racist.

                      http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
                    • Jason Meggs
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 17, 2007
                        On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Joel Siegel wrote:

                        >>> As for *why* Americans approve of this jack-booted approach
                        >>> to "law enforcement," I just don't know. It's entirely clear
                        >>> that they do approve, however.
                        >>
                        >> =v= Approval is generally coupled with a foolish notion that
                        >> the police are acting methodically and not abusing their power,
                        >> two tests which the cop failed in this case. This notion
                        >> is based on what most white Americans see; those who've seen
                        >> otherwise tend very quickly to dispense with this notion.
                        >> <_Jym_>
                        >
                        > We US'ers (at least the 'white' ones, as Jym notes) have been carefully
                        > trained, especially over the last thirty-odd years, to Be Very Afraid of
                        > The Criminals (and, of course, now The Terrorists as well), and thus to
                        > give the police more and more power. From passing draconian
                        > 'anti-crime' laws to electing 'tough on crime' judges to electing 'tough
                        > on crime' politicians who appoint 'tough on crime' judges, to deferring
                        > to the police (especially on juries) when it comes to misconduct, to
                        > giving the police a free pass except MAYBE when it's caught on video
                        > (and often not even then), we have pretty much created a police state
                        > here.
                        >
                        > Perhaps off-topic, but an excerpt from Milton Mayer's 1955 book _They
                        > Thought They Were Free: The Germans, 1933-45_ have been circulating the
                        > net and appearing on what little progressive radio we have here. The
                        > parallels are chilling. The book is available from University of
                        > Chicago Press, Paper US$22.00sp ISBN: 978-0-226-51192-4 (ISBN-10:
                        > 0-226-51192-8).

                        Of note, the history of minimum parking requirements, a constant obstacle
                        to carfree proposals, originated in Nazi Germany, with the following quote
                        attributed to you-know-who:

                        "Above all, it is the young who succumb to this magic.
                        They experience the triumph of the motorcar with the full
                        temperament of their impressionable hearts. It must be
                        seen as a sign of the invigorating power of our people
                        that they give themselves with such fanatic devotion to
                        this invention, the invention which provides the basis
                        and structure of our modern traffic."
                        -- Adolf Hitler

                        Further information as to the ties between U.S. auto makers and oil
                        companies to the Nazis is well documented. (For example, Ford was given a
                        public award by Hitler; U.S. auto makers helped build Nazi war machinery.)

                        Jason