Re: [carfree_cities] Vietnam prepares for boom times

  • Debra Efroymson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2007
      The article is misleading; the reason people can't
      afford cars is that the tax is so high. If WTO forces
      the govt to lower the tax, it would be a disaster.
      This to me is the ugliest part of the WTO, not
      allowing govts to have perfectly reasonable
      regulations to prevent growth in car ownership!!
      My sources tell me that the govt is trying to
      counter the situation by passing regulations that you
      have to have sufficient parking space before you can
      buy one...but yes it looks grim. On my last trip to
      Hanoi I saw a gated community, really depressing in a
      city which suffers from a lot less income inequality
      than most. Apparently current car owners are already
      pushing for more parking spaces, and the govt is
      having a hard time resisting.
      We're trying to promote cycling in Hanoi, but it's
      hard in a city where everyone used to cycle and
      considers it hard work and outdated.
      If anyone has a brighter side to this situation,
      I'd love to hear it. :-)
      Debra

      http://mail.yahoo.com