Vietnam prepares for boom times

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2007
      Vietnam prepares for boom times

      Vietnam is expected to become a member of the World Trade Organisation
      next week. The deal will help a country once regarded as a backwater to
      catch up with its economically successful neighbours.

      Unqualified terms: Catch up; Boom times

      Excerpt:
      "Economists say that soon - maybe as soon as next year - the income of
      Vietnam's city families will reach the size when they will start to buy
      cars.

      And if that happens, then the flow of the hordes of mopeds will be
      replaced by logjams, and the human scale and amiability of this low-rise
      city will be shoved aside by angry people in static tin boxes and looming
      skyscrapers like the other cities of Asia.

      The authorities have big plans for public transport, and as this is still
      a centrally directed economy they may be able to get their way [but...."

      Full story:
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/6234089.stm

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      Korunní 72
      CZ-10100 Praha 10
      Czech Republic

      ++420 605 915 970
      Skype: toddedelman

      edelman@...
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World Carfree Network
    • Debra Efroymson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2007
        The article is misleading; the reason people can't
        afford cars is that the tax is so high. If WTO forces
        the govt to lower the tax, it would be a disaster.
        This to me is the ugliest part of the WTO, not
        allowing govts to have perfectly reasonable
        regulations to prevent growth in car ownership!!
        My sources tell me that the govt is trying to
        counter the situation by passing regulations that you
        have to have sufficient parking space before you can
        buy one...but yes it looks grim. On my last trip to
        Hanoi I saw a gated community, really depressing in a
        city which suffers from a lot less income inequality
        than most. Apparently current car owners are already
        pushing for more parking spaces, and the govt is
        having a hard time resisting.
        We're trying to promote cycling in Hanoi, but it's
        hard in a city where everyone used to cycle and
        considers it hard work and outdated.
        If anyone has a brighter side to this situation,
        I'd love to hear it. :-)
        Debra

        http://mail.yahoo.com