Re: [carfree_cities] mythical cars

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2006
      Yes I understand that the design of horse drawn carriages reached the
      heights of perfection around the time the car entered the scene ... And what
      about Concorde.

      From: willtell9z <willtell9z@...>
      Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:27:21 -0000
      To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [carfree_cities] mythical cars

      Catching up with last Sunday's Observer reviews, I enjoyed these
      remarks from the design/architecture critic Stephen Bayley:

      ''..It's five minutes to midnight for the motor industry, but as the
      hour approacheth, products of breathtaking, if elegaic, perfection
      appear. The Audi R8 is an example:it is not possible to imagine doing
      anything much more sophisticated with metal, plastic, glass and
      rubber. ....''

      Yes, lovely concept of ''five minutes to midnight for the motor
      industry''.

      But I'm not susceptible to admiration for any car design whatsoever.
      How can one rejoice in aesthetic appreciation of anything as
      spiritually bereft as a car. Nevertheless I understand what he's
      saying and its delicious reminding us that there must be many other
      analogies and historical precedents : how total collapse is imminent
      just when an object or phenomenon has reached its apotheosis, (eg
      Jared Diamonds Collapse, or what happened to those dinosuars etc.

      Then Bayley again on the G-Wiz electric car : ''...With a rattling
      and wheezing range of 40 miles (unless the windscreen wipers are
      deployed) you can save the planet. Except

      (a) G-Wiz is manufactured in a Bangalore factory that churns filth
      into the atmosphere and

      (b) if every car driver swapped to electric we would need 100 more
      coal-fired power stations to meet demand for electric juice....''

      Neat reply to all of those foolish enough to believe in myths, (or
      looked at in a slightly different way, as M Scott Peck used to say
      ''myths _are_ true''.