Ironic gift from automobilists?

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2006
      Hi,

      From my intermittent postings on the theme "What we are up against":

      As some of you know, Richard Hammond, one of the hosts of the very popular
      BBC television show "Top Gear" - which is consistently criticized by
      groups such as Transport 2000 - was seriously injured earlier this year in
      one of the speed-glorifying stunts the show does regularly.

      His fans raised money for the charity which operates the air ambulance
      (helicopter) which carried the medics and took the host away from the
      crash scene... and this has enabled the charity to purchase a second air
      ambulance.

      Is this internalisation of costs? Or if a pedestrian is hit by a speeding
      car driven by a fan of "Top Gear" and then carried away by the new air
      ambulance is it really just sick? They are considering naming the new
      helicopter after Hammond.

      "Charity gets second ambulance"
      <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/6194616.stm>

      "Top Gear's chequered past"
      <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6204771.stm>

      Top Gear magazine:
      <http://www.topgear.com/>

      BBC Two Top Gear website:
      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/>

      Donation site for air ambulance:
      <http://www.justgiving.com/phrichardhammond>
      (see some of the messages below from Top Gear fans that come in with
      donations... charming ones say things like "what price is one life?" and
      "speed matters")

      Latest news section from the air ambulance operator:
      <http://www.yorkshireairambulance.org.uk/news.html>
      (most of the recent "accidents" they have been deployed for are on the
      roads...)

      - T

      Todd Edelman
      Director