Re: [carfree_cities] Recent developments in hybrid guided "bustrams", ultracaps and BRT

  • Tony Brewer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2006
      Todd Edelman wrote:
      > <snip>
      > This is a recent presentation about ultracap tram in Germany and its
      > possibilities for adaptation to light and medium-sized DMUs:

      <http://www.allianz-pro-schiene.de/cms/upload/media/themen/umweltbericht/wor
      kshops/20060919/07-Vortrag_Kehl-060919.pdf>
      > <snip>

      Related article:
      'UltraCaps win out in energy storage'
      http://tinyurl.com/yygt5g

      We discussed this last year in the 'Rail & Rubber' topic.

      It is good (but not surprising) to learn that the ultracapacitors have been
      100% reliable after two and half years in the Mannheim tram.
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2006
        Hi,

        Thanks for the link to the Railway Gazette article.

        I remember the Rail + Rubber discussion and thought all of that stuff
        would be helpful as follow-up, and of course though most of it is
        internally-generated it does contain graphs and so on and also a
        flywheel-solution (like the ones used by
        http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/)... and of course there are new people
        on the list since then.

        I am especially interested in the more visible solutions facilitated by
        ultracaps including the ability to reduce catenary (overhead lines) and
        allow engine-powered vehicles (trains and buses) to start from
        platforms/bus stops with only electric power, with the engine off, in
        order to reduce local emissions. The train concept is explained in the
        Bombardier Mitrac document. There are some buses that use this in North
        America
        (http://www.maxwell.com/ultracapacitors/news-events/release.asp?PRID=156)
        and an earlier development in Nuremburg, Germany
        (http://en.vag.de/?pid=102) though I am not sure of the latter's current
        status.

        - T

        > Related article:
        > 'UltraCaps win out in energy storage'
        > http://tinyurl.com/yygt5g
        >
        > We discussed this last year in the 'Rail & Rubber' topic.
        >
        > It is good (but not surprising) to learn that the ultracapacitors have
        > been
        > 100% reliable after two and half years in the Mannheim tram.

        Todd Edelman
        Director
        Green Idea Factory

        Korunní 72