Recent developments in hybrid guided "bustrams", ultracaps and BRT

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2006
      Hi,

      Following is a rather recent development for a hybrid guided "bus" or
      tram?... and it seems an evolution from previous concepts of guided (but
      not rail-based) tram/bus systems as it incorporates engines and flywheels
      and offers fuel cells and docking stations for flywheel or ultracaps as
      options. It is also in testing mode, not just an idea. The Die Welt
      article is in German.

      Also, after that I include some info on ultracap applications in DMUs and
      a very-interesting adjustable-length bus for BRT and other applications:

      Hybrid bustram or trambus... from company website:

      <http://www.ivi.fraunhofer.de/frames/english/projects/eng_mvs_autotram.html>

      Description, in short PDF form:
      <http://www.ivi.fraunhofer.de/frames/english/projects/produktbl/autotram_eng.pdf>

      Description, in longer, detailed PDF:
      <http://www.ivi.fraunhofer.de/frames/images/autotram/Autotram_RollOut.pdf>

      ***

      Article from Die Welt in November:
      <http://www.welt.de/data/2006/11/01/1094901.html>

      Green car congress article, including interesting technical (but very
      readable) discussion below:
      <http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/11/fraunhofer_test.html>

      *************

      This is a recent presentation about ultracap tram in France and its
      possibilities for adaptation to light and medium-sized DMUs:

      <http://www.allianz-pro-schiene.de/cms/upload/media/themen/umweltbericht/workshops/20060919/07-Vortrag_Kehl-060919.pdf>

      ************

      This is adjustable-length (!!!) bus for BRT and other bus systems, a
      cousin of the Autotram above... no pictures yet it seems, but I will try
      to get some:
      <http://host7.hubner-germany.com/en/24_meters_long__a_detachable_bi_directional_vehicle_on_the_IAA.html>

      - T

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      Korunní 72
      CZ-10100 Praha 10
      Czech Republic

      ++420 605 915 970
      Skype: toddedelman

      edelman@...
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World Carfree Network
    • Tony Brewer
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2006
        Todd Edelman wrote:
        > <snip>
        > This is a recent presentation about ultracap tram in Germany and its
        > possibilities for adaptation to light and medium-sized DMUs:

        <http://www.allianz-pro-schiene.de/cms/upload/media/themen/umweltbericht/wor
        kshops/20060919/07-Vortrag_Kehl-060919.pdf>
        > <snip>

        Related article:
        'UltraCaps win out in energy storage'
        http://tinyurl.com/yygt5g

        We discussed this last year in the 'Rail & Rubber' topic.

        It is good (but not surprising) to learn that the ultracapacitors have been
        100% reliable after two and half years in the Mannheim tram.
      • Todd Edelman
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 20, 2006
          Hi,

          Thanks for the link to the Railway Gazette article.

          I remember the Rail + Rubber discussion and thought all of that stuff
          would be helpful as follow-up, and of course though most of it is
          internally-generated it does contain graphs and so on and also a
          flywheel-solution (like the ones used by
          http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/)... and of course there are new people
          on the list since then.

          I am especially interested in the more visible solutions facilitated by
          ultracaps including the ability to reduce catenary (overhead lines) and
          allow engine-powered vehicles (trains and buses) to start from
          platforms/bus stops with only electric power, with the engine off, in
          order to reduce local emissions. The train concept is explained in the
          Bombardier Mitrac document. There are some buses that use this in North
          America
          (http://www.maxwell.com/ultracapacitors/news-events/release.asp?PRID=156)
          and an earlier development in Nuremburg, Germany
          (http://en.vag.de/?pid=102) though I am not sure of the latter's current
          status.

          - T