Asia's greenhouse gas 'to treble'

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2006
      Asia's greenhouse gas emissions will treble over the next 25 years,
      according to a report commissioned by the Asian Development Bank (ADB).

      ... a conference in Indonesia has heard that while some Asian governments
      should be praised for toughening vehicle emissions standards, with many
      phasing out leaded gasoline, much work still needs to be done.

      "Transport is growing faster in most cities so transport emissions are a
      big part of the problem," Lew Fulton, a transport expert with the UN
      Environmental Programme, told the three-day Better Air Quality Conference
      2006 in the city of Yogyakarta.

      "We're not only seeing increases in pollutant emissions. We're seeing huge
      increases in fuel consumption which is coupled tightly with (carbon
      dioxide) emissions," he said.

      "It's costing cities and countries ever increasing amounts of foreign
      exchange with the high oil prices that we've got."

      The World Health Organization said increased pollution in Asia is
      estimated to cause as many as 537,000 premature deaths each year, as well
      as a rise in cardiopulmonary and respiratory illnesses.

      Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6178683.stm

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory