BRT courses in Yogyakarta BAQ 2006

  • Carlos F. Pardo SUTP
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
      Bus Rapid Transit Planning course – Training Course
      11th December, 2006. Mercure Hotel, Yogyakarta

      Dear all

      Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) is an innovative approach to solve the problems of
      public transport in the developing cities. Cities such as Curitiba, Bogotá
      and Jakarta have largely benefited by implementing BRT. The whole BRT system
      would be worthless if there is no good planning involved.

      With our experience in BRT planning and implementation, GTZ-SUTP, will be
      offering a training course on Bus Rapid Transit Planning. The course will
      describe the key components of a BRT system and give basic tools for
      policymakers and technical staff of municipalities to start developing a
      successful and high-impact system in their cities. The main objective of
      this training course is to introduce participants to the features of BRT and
      how it can be applied in their city.

      The course will explain the criteria of demand analysis, corridor selection,
      operational plan, customer service plan, infrastructure, modal integration,
      technology, business and financing of a BRT system. It will also describe
      the social, environmental and economic impacts of a BRT system. The course
      will engage participants in exercises for their cities regarding Bus Rapid
      Transit and then evaluate the potential application of a BRT system in each
      city.

      We hence warmly invite you to be a part of this training course. Please mail
      Mr. Carlos F. Pardo at <mailto:carlos.pardo@...> carlos.pardo@...
      for registering for the course. For more information please visit
      <http://www.cleanairnet.org/baq2006/1757/article-71088.html>
      http://www.cleanairnet.org/baq2006/1757/article-71088.html . Please note
      that there are limited spaces available for this course, so register soon
      before vacancies are finished!

      Hoping to see you in Yogyakarta,

      Yours sincerely

      SUTP team
      GTZ Sustainable Urban Transport Project (SUTP)
      The United Nations Economic and
      Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP)
      Transport and Tourism Division
      Room 0942, ESCAP UN Building,
      Rajadamnern Nok Rd. Bangkok 10200, Thailand
      Tel: +66 (0) 2 - 288 1321
      Fax: +66 (0) 2 - 280 6042
      Website: <http://www.sutp.org/> www.sutp.org

    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2006
        > Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) is an innovative approach to solve the
        > problems of public transport in the developing cities. Cities
        > such as Curitiba, Bogotá and Jakarta have largely benefited
        > by implementing BRT.

        =v= Here in the United States, BRT serves to usurp LRT. Indeed,
        its very name is an attempt to convince people that they can
        have the benefits of LRT with a bus system. (This is only true
        if you pretend that the many benefits of rail don't exist.)
        All BRT "success stories" in the U.S. involve BRT running on
        former LRT routes.

        =v= Curitiba has moved on beyond BRT to demanding an upgrade
        to rail. Why is it, then, that its BRT system continues to be
        touted as a be-all and end-all for other parts of the world?
        <_Jym_>
      • chbuckeye
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2006
          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:
          > =v= Here in the United States, BRT serves to usurp LRT. Indeed,
          > its very name is an attempt to convince people that they can
          > have the benefits of LRT with a bus system. (This is only true
          > if you pretend that the many benefits of rail don't exist.)

          I agree, those arguments were made here in Cleveland, which is
          currently building a BRT line.

          > All BRT "success stories" in the U.S. involve BRT running on
          > former LRT routes.

          Cleveland once had an extensive trolley network. Some of the trolley
          rails were recently uncovered (and discarded) during reconstruction of
          Euclid Avenue as part of the BRT project. Buses are expected to be
          running in 2008 or 2009. Whether it will be a success or not remains
          to be seen, but are trolleys "light rail"?

          Cleveland has a few light rail lines that have been around for up to
          seventy-five years, but the network has not been expanded and does not
          even cover the core of the city. Meanwhile the "city" has expanded
          exponentially over the years, simultaneously increasing and diluting
          the population.

          Despite pleas from advocates of light rail in Cleveland, BRT was
          adopted as a less expensive alternative. It will be interesting to
          see what the local sentiment is in 2010, after a year or two of operation.
        • Todd Edelman
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2006
            Some interesting words for the City Philosopher of Almere, the "new town"
            near Amsterdam:

            http://www.erasmuspc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=211&Itemid=77

            I actually was Wiki-ing and Goggle-ing Almere about their underground
            waste disposal system
            <http://www.envac.net/docs/projects/383_Almere_ENG.webb.pdf> and ran into
            that article.

            Golly, in a few newly developing parts of Prague they could use that
            system together with trains for collection and part or all of the
            processing for trash and recycling...

            - T

            Todd Edelman
            Director
            Green Idea Factory

            Korunní 72
            CZ-10100 Praha 10
            Czech Republic

            ++420 605 915 970
            Skype: toddedelman

            edelman@...
            http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

            Green Idea Factory,
            a member of World Carfree Network
          • Jym Dyer
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2006
              > ... are trolleys "light rail"?

              =v= Yes. Though they predate the phrase, they exemplify it.

              > Despite pleas from advocates of light rail in Cleveland, BRT
              > was adopted as a less expensive alternative.

              =v= Yes, that's always the argument. However, it's only "less
              expensive" in the short term, because buses require more fuel,
              more maintenance, and more space on the road. They also damage
              roads, but that cost is generally in a different accounting
              ledger and is thus often ignored as a cost of BRT. Even so,
              in the long herm a city budget finds itself facing all these
              higher costs of "less expensive" BRT.

              =v= There are of course higher environmental and health costs,
              but the ledgers those show up on are so often never connected
              to their sources. LRT also has the effect of attracting
              economic development along its corridors, something BRT has
              yet to demonstrate (though it does enjoy those benefits to
              some degree when it usurps an LRT corridor).

              =v= Penny-wise and pound foolish.
              <_Jym_>