Re: [carfree_cities] Light-Free, Car-Free Day - Idea Factory

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
      > Doesn't a group in San Francisco regularly "rent" pay
      > parking spaces by the 25-cent piece and have lunches,
      > concerts, readings, etc. in them?

      =v= Not regularly. That was done twice, by the Rebar Group
      that was mentioned.

      >> http://www.rebargroup.org/projects/parkingday/

      <_Jym_>

      --
      The cars below knew nothing. People in cars weren't New Yorkers
      anyway, they'd suffered some basic misunderstanding.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
        I think we could do a series of flash mobs during CFD 2007 where people
        would go to a specific place and set up a park, a playground, a beach, a
        living room, etc. It may need some logistics, but it's not very difficult
        when there's lots of people willing to help. It would renovate carfree days
        to a certain extent and maybe it could generate greater awareness of the
        many uses public space (and specifically streets) could have. Space
        Hijackers in London have really done a lot in this respect as well.

        Carlos F. Pardo
        ps: basic info about flashmobs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob :

        "In modern usage, flash mob describes a group of people who assemble
        suddenly in a public place, do something unusual for a brief period of time,
        and then quickly disperse. They are usually organized with the help of the
        Internet or other digital communications networks."