Hit and run on Denver's 16th street mall

  • Philip Riggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2006
      I'm sure most of you have read this horrendous news, but in case here
      is a summary from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061112/ap_on_re_us/
      stroller_deaths

      I am too angry to not share this. What makes me so mad I could spit
      is that this will be blamed on drunk driving and one individual
      rather than automobiles and the culture it has created.

      ***********************
      DENVER - A man was charged Sunday with killing a mother and two
      children in a stroller by driving drunk through a red light and
      striking the family in a crosswalk, then leaving the scene.

      <clip>

      Trujillo is accused of driving a pickup through a red light in
      downtown Denver on Friday night at high speed, killing Becca Bingham,
      39, and her two children, 4-year-old Macie and 2-year-old Garrison.
      Frank Bingham, 41, survived.

      <clip>

      The Binghams were out for a family evening Friday and were walking
      with Macie, wearing a ballerina princess outfit, and Garrison,
      dressed in a Superman cape, riding in a double stroller, The Denver
      Post reported. They were crossing lawfully at the intersection, which
      had a traffic signal, authorities said.

      ***********************

      Here are most of the stories:
      http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4640072
      http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4648020
      http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4645950
      http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4651851

      Not mentioned in this article was that this took place one block from
      Denver's 16th street mall, a pedestrian only area (but does have
      busses running along the length). However, there are many crossings
      with streets as you walk down the length of it.

      When will we be able to escape this madness?