Beijing: "Foreign Auntie Challenges Rule-Breaking Vehicle"

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2006
      =v= Check out these amazing photos from Beijing, where a woman
      stood her ground against a belligerent motorist trying to drive
      in the bike lane:

      http://www.zonaeuropa.com/20061027_1.htm

      (She even resembles a loved one of mine who does pretty much the
      same thing in the United States!)

      =v= I should explain that "bike lane" means something different
      in China than in the Western world. As the photos show, bike
      lanes and car lanes are of equal width. Bikes used to have the
      whole road, but a surge in car ownership has resulted in some
      cities segregating them on certain major rods.

      =v= When I was there last year, most of the surface roads were
      a mix of bikes and cars, some roads were 50/50 bike lane/car
      lane, some had 1 bike lane and 2 car lanes. They converge at
      roundabouts where everyone slows down to bike speed and all mix
      together. Even with this recent influx of cars it's an amazing
      place to bike, and that sort of belligerent motorist behavior
      was nothing I encountered.
      <_Jym_>

      http://www.things.org/~jym/ :::: also a bicycle." :: (_)/ (_) ::

      Without advertising in this country, my goodness, we'd
      still be in this country what Russia mostly still is:
      a nation of bearded bicyclists with B.O.
      -- Paul Harvey