Low-density = big refrigerators

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hi!

      This is related to a discussion a few weeks back about new car-dependent
      "eco-suburbs" and how to best save energy/lower emissions (by greener
      transport, etc...).

      Perhaps this is entirely obvious and/or has been written about in other
      ways, but, having lived without a refrigerator for the last month
      (planning to get a pricey, efficient one) it has become more clear to me
      how much in Western cities the length of a shopping trip can affect the
      size of a fridge.

      I have heard that a fridge is the biggest single user of electricity in a
      typical American house. I have no fridge now so I shop a few times a day,
      and fortunately good shops are steps away. BUT in "car-dependent suburbs"
      there is the ever-present "big shopping", which many people have to or
      feel they have to do in order to make the long trip worthwhile.

      So, they use lots of energy (transport) it seems to get the stuff they
      need, and then more energy to preserve it with a big fridge (and freezer)
      until the next trip. Also with a bigger car they can fill a bigger
      fridge...
      of course this forms a circle.

      I realise that lots of little stores also use lots of little (relative to
      supermarkets) fridges and freezers.

      Any thoughts? Studies? Anecdotes?

      Todd, in Prague, equidistant between a good small store and the pear and
      walnut trees in the backyard....

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      ++420 605 915 970

      edelman@...
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World Carfree Network
    • Greg Steele
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
        given that poverty = more violence

        In a post peak oil economy, car dependent areas will be more
        economically depressed that the urban areas of the East and West
        Coasts of the US.

        Therefore, I expect to see violence increase throughout the US in the
        near future with a disproportionate level of violence in the Mid-West
        and Southeast.