St. Louis "Most Dangerous City"

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
      Hi,

      Interesting how they only use "crime" to come up with "dangerous":

      http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/10/30/national/a015352S08.DTL

      and rankings:
      http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/10/29/national/a210944S94.DTL

      Still, I wonder about the corralation between carcities and crime... any
      thoughts?

      - T

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      ++420 605 915 970

      edelman@...
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

      Green Idea Factory,
      a member of World Carfree Network
    • Robert Madison
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
        on 2006-Oct-30 15:05 Todd Edelman said the following:
        > Still, I wonder about the corralation between carcities and crime... any
        > thoughts?

        Unfortunately, at least in the US, I don't think that correlation would
        be favorable to us. The areas with the least crime tend to be the
        low-density, heavily car-dependent suburbs. But that's really more a
        matter of demographics than anything else (i.e. crime tends to thrive in
        areas of concentrated poverty, which one would not find in suburbs).

        --
        Robert Madison
        Chicago, IL

        http://community.webshots.com/user/rmadisonwi
        This message was composed using Mozilla Thunderbird

        I should put you away where you can't kill or maim us, but this is LA and you're rich and FAMOUS
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
          On Oct 31, 2006, at 5:54 AM, Robert Madison wrote:

          > on 2006-Oct-30 15:05 Todd Edelman said the following:
          >> Still, I wonder about the corralation between carcities and
          >> crime... any
          >> thoughts?
          >>

          > Unfortunately, at least in the US, I don't think that correlation
          > would
          > be favorable to us. The areas with the least crime tend to be the
          > low-density, heavily car-dependent suburbs. But that's really more a
          > matter of demographics than anything else (i.e. crime tends to
          > thrive in
          > areas of concentrated poverty, which one would not find in suburbs).
          However, there's a well-established though little-publicized
          connection between car-dependent suburbs and violent death, which we
          can play up.

          I don't have time to dig up the references again (someone here can, I
          hope), but the death rate for 15-25 year olds is higher per capita in
          the suburbs than in the inner city, because of automobile accidents.

          Tangentially related: one often hears people who've just gotten a
          traffic ticket complain, "Why aren't the cops out catching real
          criminals?"

          I checked the numbers a couple of years ago: in the US, the most
          violent Western democracy, about 5,000 people a year are murdered.
          Of these, a little over half are killed by family members or friends--
          in other words, police presence cannot prevent these murders.
          Murders committed by strangers or in the course of other criminal
          activity are in the minority by a little bit, so let's just say about
          2500 a year.

          But bad drivers kill 47,000 innocents a year.

          This doesn't even count maimings, burns, and healable injuries.

          So really, the police would do better to take officers off murder
          beats and put them on motorcycles catching more bad drivers, who kill
          more good people.

          Rick
          http://www.rickrise.com
          http://www.bicyclefixation.com
          http://www.newcolonist.com
        • Todd Edelman
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
            Hi!

            This is related to a discussion a few weeks back about new car-dependent
            "eco-suburbs" and how to best save energy/lower emissions (by greener
            transport, etc...).

            Perhaps this is entirely obvious and/or has been written about in other
            ways, but, having lived without a refrigerator for the last month
            (planning to get a pricey, efficient one) it has become more clear to me
            how much in Western cities the length of a shopping trip can affect the
            size of a fridge.

            I have heard that a fridge is the biggest single user of electricity in a
            typical American house. I have no fridge now so I shop a few times a day,
            and fortunately good shops are steps away. BUT in "car-dependent suburbs"
            there is the ever-present "big shopping", which many people have to or
            feel they have to do in order to make the long trip worthwhile.

            So, they use lots of energy (transport) it seems to get the stuff they
            need, and then more energy to preserve it with a big fridge (and freezer)
            until the next trip. Also with a bigger car they can fill a bigger
            fridge...
            of course this forms a circle.

            I realise that lots of little stores also use lots of little (relative to
            supermarkets) fridges and freezers.

            Any thoughts? Studies? Anecdotes?

            Todd, in Prague, equidistant between a good small store and the pear and
            walnut trees in the backyard....

            Todd Edelman
            Director
            Green Idea Factory

            ++420 605 915 970

            edelman@...
            http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

            Green Idea Factory,
            a member of World Carfree Network
          • Greg Steele
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
              given that poverty = more violence

              In a post peak oil economy, car dependent areas will be more
              economically depressed that the urban areas of the East and West
              Coasts of the US.

              Therefore, I expect to see violence increase throughout the US in the
              near future with a disproportionate level of violence in the Mid-West
              and Southeast.