Re: Bogus pro-highway "study" needs a response!

  • dubluth
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2006
      Pick a perceived problem then suggest more roads and automobiles as
      the way to ameliorate the problem. Never mind that more automobiles
      would just make such a problem worse. The news media dutifully
      repeats such nonsense as credible.

      We may just have some work cut out for us.

      I commented on this back in January
      http://carfree.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=1511959

      Bill
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "John Bredin" <jbbredin@...> wrote:

      > The American Highway Users Alliance released a "study" giving
      > a "report card" on the evacuation capability of various cities.
      >
      > http://www.highways.org/pdfs/evacuation_report_card2006.pdf
      >
      > With some exceptions, the grades seem to be inversely related to
      > which cities have the most extensive rail transit service. The lowest-
      > ranked "
    • Matt Hohmeister
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2006
        Didn't lower Manhattan evacuate relatively quickly on 11 September
        2001? And, if I'm not mistaken, didn't a lot of vehicular roads turn
        into giant pedestrian roads?

        Yet every time a McCity has to be evacuated before a hurricane, the
        interstate never seems to have enough capacity.

        I especially love the part about rental cars. I live a few blocks from
        a Budget station which has 10-20 rental cars on the lot at any given
        time, so they'll be primed and ready to evacuate, oh, 50-100 people
        when the Big One strikes.

        And, of course, giving low-income people access to own cars will help
        them evacuate too. Must be why most cities force landlords to provide
        tenants with "free" parking.

        [/sarcasm]