Bogus pro-highway "study" needs a response!

  • John Bredin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2006
      The American Highway Users Alliance released a "study" giving
      a "report card" on the evacuation capability of various cities.

      http://www.highways.org/pdfs/evacuation_report_card2006.pdf

      With some exceptions, the grades seem to be inversely related to
      which cities have the most extensive rail transit service. The lowest-
      ranked "F" cities are New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

      The organization concluded, as a surprise to nobody, that the remedy
      is "Additional highway capacity on exit routes, *** relief at traffic
      bottlenecks, and the physical construction of new highway capacity."
      They also conclude that "buses are the most important mechanism for
      evacuation for those without cars."

      The problem with this self-serving "study" is that several media
      outlets across the nation have picked up the "press release" as
      actual news.
      http://www.highways.org/Press_Releases/release10-12-06.htm
      became a story on Reuters:
      http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?
      type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-10-
      12T165716Z_01_N12329986_RTRUKOC_0_US-SECURITY-
      EVACUATION.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsHome-C3-domesticNews-3
      Bloomberg News:
      http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?
      pid=20601103&sid=a_WOdeFbVKyA&refer=us
      USA Today:
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-10-11-cities-
      evacuations_x.htm
      The UPI:
      http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20061012-085417-9945r
      and various local outlets.

      Only a reporter's blog at the Chicago Tribune sounded a note of
      skepticism, stating that the study had to be taken with a grain of
      salt:
      http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2006/10/evacuation_s
      tud.html

      Opponents of sprawl and endless highway construction should respond
      quickly, firmly, and widely to this pro-highway propaganda disguised
      as news and designed to capitalize on the public's fear of terrorism.

      John B. Bredin
      jbbredin@...
    • dubluth
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2006
        Pick a perceived problem then suggest more roads and automobiles as
        the way to ameliorate the problem. Never mind that more automobiles
        would just make such a problem worse. The news media dutifully
        repeats such nonsense as credible.

        We may just have some work cut out for us.

        I commented on this back in January
        http://carfree.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=1511959

        Bill
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "John Bredin" <jbbredin@...> wrote:

        > The American Highway Users Alliance released a "study" giving
        > a "report card" on the evacuation capability of various cities.
        >
        > http://www.highways.org/pdfs/evacuation_report_card2006.pdf
        >
        > With some exceptions, the grades seem to be inversely related to
        > which cities have the most extensive rail transit service. The lowest-
        > ranked "
      • Matt Hohmeister
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2006
          Didn't lower Manhattan evacuate relatively quickly on 11 September
          2001? And, if I'm not mistaken, didn't a lot of vehicular roads turn
          into giant pedestrian roads?

          Yet every time a McCity has to be evacuated before a hurricane, the
          interstate never seems to have enough capacity.

          I especially love the part about rental cars. I live a few blocks from
          a Budget station which has 10-20 rental cars on the lot at any given
          time, so they'll be primed and ready to evacuate, oh, 50-100 people
          when the Big One strikes.

          And, of course, giving low-income people access to own cars will help
          them evacuate too. Must be why most cities force landlords to provide
          tenants with "free" parking.

          [/sarcasm]