Re: [carfree_cities] Bicycle Fixation Official Grand Opening

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      On Aug 31, 2006, at 10:57 PM, Jason Meggs wrote:

      > Wonderful -- do you have many studies on energy and bicycling? Or
      > bicycling and climate change?
      I will have these soon. Meanwhile, look up http://www.vtpi.org, the
      best source on the planet for transport & energy stats.

      > Have you heard the idea that bicycles are less fuel efficient than
      > electric bikes due to the fuel used to produce food? (I heard this
      > rumor and really want to see any studies so I can find all their
      > flaws!!!)
      Bicycling requires 35 calories per mile. Walking requires 4 times
      that. I very much doubt that electric anythings can beat either one,
      especially if you factor in embedded energy in powerplants and
      transmission systems, not to mention dams and the attendant damage
      they cause the environment.

      Also, one has to eat anyway. The extra food used in bikes is
      insignificant. In fact (anecdotal evidence here), I find that I eat
      LESS when I'm bicycling more, as my metabolism is more efficient.

      Throw in a habit of eating organic, or from farmer's markets--I do
      both--and that tips the scale even further towards the bicycle.

      The power addicts put forth all sorts of specious arguments. One
      even said that bicycles are less efficient because their riders tend
      to live longer and consume more of other resources! The logical
      outcome to that argument would be universal enforced sterilization,
      followed by mass suicide.

      Well, thanks to fossil fuels, we are on track to the latter....

      Rick
      http://www.rickrise.com
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com