Bicycle Fixation Official Grand Opening

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi All--

      The site's been running well in beta, and every section has some
      content, though not enough yet, so it's time: September 1st is the
      Official Grand Opening of the Bicycle Fixation website!

      What do we do?

      We present articles on urban and transportational bicycling in the
      face of traffic, sprawl, injustice, and a culture of environmental
      cluelessness, and essays that we hope will help us all find our way
      back to living sanely in the physical world, lovingly in the social
      plane, fairly in the economic realm, and passionately in all of them--
      in other words, total world and personal revolution, facilitated by
      the bicycle, the most efficient machine ever to come from the hands
      and minds of our species!

      The bicycle brings physical health, social openness, and an end to
      pollution and fossil fuel dependence to a degree that no other
      technology can approach, and enhances rather than diminishes your
      freedom. It's available to almost everyone at almost any age, and
      even to the very poor. It strengthens where other technologies
      weaken you, it enlarges where other technologies diminish you, it
      enlivens where other technologies deaden you. The bicycle is an
      extension of your body, and not an enclosure.

      So are you tired of waiting for the bright future? Make it happen
      now! Join us at http://www.bicyclefixation.com, where we bring you
      face to face with the world you want to live in.
      =====================
      We plan also to develop a few select bicycling-oriented products
      suitable for real-world bicycling, with a pair of woolen riding
      knickers of our own design currently in development. These will be
      bicycle-friendly pants with a touch of elegance and a durable,
      practical construction--something you can wear into a store or
      restaurant without looking like you came from Mars. A cargo bike is
      also a possibility, if our resources permit.

      In addition, we will present advertisements from companies engaged in
      similar products or processes, from enlightened neighborhood bike
      shops that understand what transportational cyclists need, to
      builders, designers, and marketers presenting truly useful low-impact
      products, or high-impact information, that will help us create a
      better and ultimately sustainable life. If you are such a one,
      please note that as a Grand Opening Special, we have cut our rates in
      half for any advertisement placed by December 31st of this year. See
      details at http://www.bicyclefixation.com/advertise.html .

      Thank you,

      Rick
      http://www.rickrise.com
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
        On Aug 31, 2006, at 10:57 PM, Jason Meggs wrote:

        > Wonderful -- do you have many studies on energy and bicycling? Or
        > bicycling and climate change?
        I will have these soon. Meanwhile, look up http://www.vtpi.org, the
        best source on the planet for transport & energy stats.

        > Have you heard the idea that bicycles are less fuel efficient than
        > electric bikes due to the fuel used to produce food? (I heard this
        > rumor and really want to see any studies so I can find all their
        > flaws!!!)
        Bicycling requires 35 calories per mile. Walking requires 4 times
        that. I very much doubt that electric anythings can beat either one,
        especially if you factor in embedded energy in powerplants and
        transmission systems, not to mention dams and the attendant damage
        they cause the environment.

        Also, one has to eat anyway. The extra food used in bikes is
        insignificant. In fact (anecdotal evidence here), I find that I eat
        LESS when I'm bicycling more, as my metabolism is more efficient.

        Throw in a habit of eating organic, or from farmer's markets--I do
        both--and that tips the scale even further towards the bicycle.

        The power addicts put forth all sorts of specious arguments. One
        even said that bicycles are less efficient because their riders tend
        to live longer and consume more of other resources! The logical
        outcome to that argument would be universal enforced sterilization,
        followed by mass suicide.

        Well, thanks to fossil fuels, we are on track to the latter....

        Rick
        http://www.rickrise.com
        http://www.bicyclefixation.com