9890Speed of Change - Re: [carfree_cities] Fuel from coal -

  • Sean Brooks
    May 14, 2006
      It's amazing how fast humans can adapt to change when they have to.

      I preface everything by mentioning that I wholeheartedly agree with Joel,
      coal is the worst form of energy available to us. I'd rather we didn't use
      it. I'm almost positive we will, if only because the US has a lot of it.

      Over the course of two years in the early 40's, a country that lost their
      supply of oil converted largely to liquid fuel from coal via the
      Fischer-Tropsh process. They did this while being bombed nightly.
      Fortunately for the rest of us, this experience wasn't successful for the

      Over the course of 15 years, the world built several hundred nuclear plants,
      at a time when coal was incredibly cheap.

      How fast did the telegraph spread around the world?

      How fast did semiconductors 'take over the world'?

      >From: "Todd Edelman" <edelman@...>
      >To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] Fuel from coal
      >Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 15:07:39 +0200 (CEST)
      >Richard Risemberg wrote:
      > > We pretty much knew it would come to this. More than ever, it's
      > > important to market carfreedom on its personal human benefits.
      >YES, but we dont have to use only that. There is also huge amount of
      >internalisation of costs for road transport which needs to happen,
      >involving things besides air emissions.
      >Also, assuming this Synfuel thing can get to the point of having a
      >Coal-to-Liquid fuel facility operating in a "normal" fashion, it will be
      >many, many, many years before enough of them are built to replace the
      >current petroleum refining system -- that is to say that it wont fill the
      >growing vacuum of post-peak oil right away. AND there will be I think a
      >fair amount of pressure to keep it "clean" (relatively speaking) which
      >means lots of "delays", too. There will also be lengthy legal battles
      >about re-opening coal mines and especially starting new ones.
      >So... as I have mentioned before... I think there will be a problem in 5
      >to 10 years when petroleum-based fuel will be too expensive for too many
      >people to use it for their cars (and airplanes).... and not enough public
      >transport or cycling or non-petrofuelled-transport options
      >(densification/pedestrian-oriented development, working at home, virtual
      >conferencing) to come close to replacing automobiles (and airplanes)... so
      >the question is: "How much chaos can we handle?". We need to mimimize
      >future chaos by investing in much more PT, NMT and transport replacement
      >Todd Edelman
      >International Coordinator
      >On the Train Towards the Future!
      >Green Idea Factory