9888Re: [carfree_cities] Fuel from coal

    May 14, 2006
      On May 14, 2006, at 6:07 AM, Todd Edelman wrote:

      > Richard Risemberg wrote:
      >
      >> We pretty much knew it would come to this. More than ever, it's
      >> important to market carfreedom on its personal human benefits.
      >
      > YES, but we dont have to use only that. There is also huge amount of
      > internalisation of costs for road transport which needs to happen,
      > involving things besides air emissions.
      >
      > Also, assuming this Synfuel thing can get to the point of having a
      > Coal-to-Liquid fuel facility operating in a "normal" fashion, it
      > will be
      > many, many, many years before enough of them are built to replace the
      > current petroleum refining system -
      True, but bear in mind that coal gasification system were routine in
      most cities before "natural gas" became prevalent. Natural gas is
      called that to distinguish it from the previous coal gas, so this
      particular synthesizing technology has a history stretching back
      before the oil era.

      Internalizing costs is hugely important--and the "full-cost
      accounting" folks are natural allies for us--but unless we can sell
      civil cities, carfree cities, on their personal benefits, most people
      will grumble about putting money into alternatives no matter how much
      fuel costs them personally.

      They'll certainly ask for more money to be put into fuel tech than
      into metros and trams in the next fewf years, I'll bet.

      Rick
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic