9673Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Privacy (was: Efficiency and the automobile)

  • Sean Brooks
    Mar 7, 2006
      Point of order: the address of the White House is 1700 Pennsylvania Ave NW,
      and it's carfree.

      I work as a firefighter in the District of Columbia (the capital city of the
      US). Today, as part of training on the hazards of Hydrogen storage & use
      (DC has the only commercial Hydrogen station in the US) I drove a hydrogen
      fuel cell vehicle. While the version I drove was, in fact, a car, the
      powerplant itself, or a much smaller version, would be an excellent motor
      for freight movement within a car-free district. With cryogenic storage of
      hydrogen, or even high pressure storage, the hazards associated with
      Hydrogen are less than or equal to other energy storage media. The plant
      itself is small, light, very very quiet, and only exhausts water vapor.

      Note that hydrogen is not an energy source, rather, it is an energy storage
      medium.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic