9584Re: [carfree_cities] Re: permanent energy crisis

  • Doug Salzmann
    Feb 18, 2006
      On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, J.H. Crawford wrote:

      > The supply of fissile material is quite limited in terms
      > of supplying most of the world's energy for more than
      > an interlude of a couple of generations.

      Exactly right. There is not nearly enough fissionable uranium available
      in the Earth's crust to power a world of 6.5-billion-and-growing humans
      out of our energy shortage.

      Of course, fast-breeder reactors could produce an unlimited supply of
      fuel, along with an unlimited supply of that Pu element. Imagine hundreds
      or thousands of such facilities tucked away in every corner of the world,
      including, oh, say, Liberia.

      > Then there's the minor problem of nuclear waste.

      Which minor problem continues to be utterly intractable after, literally,
      generations of grappling with it.

      > I agree that we'll probably see quite a few more nukes built,
      > but I don't think it's going to change very much.

      Yep. Nukes will be stop-gap measures in certain times and places (and
      will continue to be extremely dangerous), but nuclear power generation is
      not a long-term solution.

      -Doug
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic