9448Re: [carfree_cities] Navigating future for road charges (article on Galileo) + RAIL!

  • Simon Baddeley
    Dec 29, 2005
      Know what I like about this? Here's a clue. John le Carré says in a recent
      novel that people on bicycles are the trickiest to follow. It's not
      that I want to be secretive or that I'm especially libertarian, though I get
      excited watching "auto-bondage" as motorists hogtie themselves into
      punishing urban gridlock (:))

      One of the delights of urban cycling is the feeling that one is
      travelling in a different dimension, where the restrictions that make car
      driving increasingly a stop-go - mostly stop-crawl - affair simply
      disappear. No insurance forms, no road tax documents, no driving licence,
      no parking or speeding tickets, no satellite signature, no proof of
      ownership - no paperwork or equivalent software. Wunderbar!

      Car driving is getting more and more like flying with all the inconvenience
      of having to log flight plans and land/park in special areas, while I enjoy
      the freedom of a walker with the additional pace of my bicycle, which, being
      a folder, can transfer to other forms of transport like buses, trams, taxis
      and trains with ease.

      Can there be any better way than this to travel round the city? The
      difficulty of surveillance is an additional bonus. If I was a criminal the
      only cops that would worry me would be on bicycles.

      I note that the new UK Tory opposition leader David Cameron has realised
      this. I don't think he's a cyclist because he's green. He's grasped with
      100s of other professional people that a bicycle is the best way to get
      around a city.

      Simon

      > From: Todd Edelman <traintowardsthefuture@...>
      > Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:43:30 +0000 (GMT)
      > To: Carfree Cities <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [carfree_cities] Navigating future for road charges (article on
      > Galileo) + RAIL!
      >
      > To Carfree Cities list and friends:
      >
      > From BBC:
      >
      > Navigating future for road charges
      >
      > This week, the first test satellite in Europe's 3.4bn-euro (£2.3bn; $4bn)
      > Galileo satellite-navigation system blasted off on a Soyuz rocket from
      > Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
      > Another excerpt: "In Brussels, we have the same transport situation as we
      > have in London. In Germany, it is the same situation," lamented Mr
      > Marchlewski. "Galileo will not reduce congestion directly, but it can be used
      > for a more intelligent distribution of vehicles.
      > Full article at:
      > <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4552132.stm
      >
      > ---
      >
      > Libertarians dont like the "control" part of this but the concept of being
      > anonymous while driving a car around and around and around I think
      > contradicts the idea that "driving is a privelege, not a right". It is chaos.
      >
      > This article DOESNT mention that Galileo will also give the railways some
      > huge benefits. Please see: <http://ertms.uic.asso.fr/research.html>

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic