9033Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree Times #40

  • kiwehtin
    Sep 1, 2005
      On Sep 1, 2005, at 8:10 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

      > Carfree Times #40 is now on line at:
      >
      > http://www.carfree.com/cft/i040.html
      >
      > This issue was a little rushed because I wanted
      > to get the New Orleans story out immediately.
      >
      > I won't send notices until Friday, but if you
      > could advise me today of any typos or other errors
      > OFF LIST, I would be much obliged.

      Hi Joel,

      I've been offline lately with most of my attention turned to a search
      for employment and thus less attention devoted to other things. In
      case you tried to email me about CFT, I should let you know that my
      former .Mac address no longer works, though I may try to reactivate
      it later; my current email address appears above.

      I took a look at the current Carfree Times and though I see 'Deutche'
      has been corrected to 'Deutsche' since the first time I looked it
      through, there are a number of other things that need to be taken
      care of. I'm pasting the relevant text after my signature below.

      As I say in my comments below, I would be interested in principle in
      doing editing on the manuscript; I would need to know what kind of
      work is involved, though. Also, I came across quite a few errors that
      need to be fixed in the new French translation of the Intro chapter.
      I'll see about sending you my comments in the relatively short term.

      Reading your account of the clay maquette at TCFC, I was reminded of
      a couple of articles that I read recently on the Cool Towns blog.
      Perhaps you might be interested in them. One had to do with using a
      new product by Lego that allows people to design Lego sets for their
      own purposes:

      http://www.cooltownstudios.com/mt/archives/000608.html

      It consists of a downloadable software application (Mac or PC) that
      can be used to design a Lego set customized for your own purposes,
      then submitted to Lego to be turned into a physical Lego set:

      http://www.lego.com/eng/factory/

      You can design your own trees and, perhaps, street furniture, it
      seems; also vehicles if they are useful. Whether you stand a good
      chance of ending up with a useful physical Lego set probably depends
      on how marketable the Lego people think it will ultimately be. That
      said, I can imagine it might be useful to design a number of modules
      based on Alexander's architectural patterns that can be combined in
      different ways to yield crude but functional representations of what
      a built environment could look like.

      The other article, also on the Cool Towns site, appeared just this
      past Monday:

      http://www.cooltownstudios.com/mt/archives/000615.html

      It's about a new mixed-use district to be built on the site of an
      office park in Rockville, Maryland, whose design (Andres Duany is
      involved) is strikingly similar to the medieval forms you propose.
      Unfortunately this is true only at a superficial level, since
      courtyards are used for parking, and the sinuous streets are designed
      for cars. It's probably worth a quick look at the article and links,
      nonetheless.

      Best,

      Chris

      Christopher Miller
      Montreal QC Canada

      Comments on CFT #40:

      Editor Needed!
      Work on Carfree Design Manual is going well. I expect to send it to
      the publisher at the end of this year. The first draft is complete
      except for two chapters. I badly need someone to do for this book
      what Marti Frank did for the last one: help me with a major edit
      before final tinkering begins. If you have the (very rare) skills and
      are interested in this project, please send mail.

      I would definitely be interested in working with you on this. Could
      you give me more of an idea of what you are looking for in terms of
      the quantity and nature of the content to be worked on?
      <<<<

      French
      The Introduction page at Carfree.com is now available in French.
      Thanks to Évan Monroig for the translation.

      I read the new translation a couple of weeks ago and it turns out
      that there are various mistakes that need to be corrected, including
      spelling, adjective-noun agreement for number etc., subject verb
      agreement and others. I could go over it and send you the corrections
      (which you could pass by Évan if you wish).
      <<<<

      News Bits

      How Safe Is Transit?
      The prolific Victoria Transport Policy Institute has issued (…) that
      transit is an extremely safe mode, with total fatality rates per
      passenger-mile approximately one-tenth that for automobile travel.

      fatality rates (plural) … one-tenth [that] >> those for…
      <<<<

      Wireless Trams Already Exist
      3rd paragraph:
      Germany has implemented systems where the two types of vehicles are
      always kept separated either in [either] space or in time.
      …kept separated either in space or in time.
      (The second ‘either’ should go.)
      <<<<

      Energy Rationing in Britain?
      Last paragraph:
      I have long thought that a scheme of this sort, operated on a global
      scale, is the only fair way to allocate[d] carbon emissions.
      …to allocate… (No ‘d’.)
      <<<<

      Feature Article
      Clay Maquette at TCFC V
      Morphogenic Development
      While I had not developed a full set of sequences at the time of the
      exercise, the work was well along.

      ‘well along’
      This isn’t an idiom I’m familiar with. Could it be a difference
      between US and Canadian English? I haven’t managed to find it in my
      dictionary (which referes to US usage). In trying to guess at the
      intended meaning, all I can come up with is something like “well on
      its way”, but this doesn’t make sense in the surrounding context.
      Might this be the stranded remainder of some text that was deleted
      inadvertently?
      <<<<

      Thanks
      A bit of a picky comment here. I notice a number of Turkish names
      that don’t look right. I realize that it would be difficult to get
      all the details such as the dotless i and s-cedilla right and won’t
      worry about those details. However a few names in your list that, as
      spelled, violate either the rules for vowel harmony (vowels in native
      Turkish words normally have to agree for height and backness), or
      syllable structure (no more than two consonants in a row). Here are
      the names with my comments:

      Elvan Burge Erginli >> Bürge?
      Selcen Kolutek >> Kölütek? (In general, are all the ‘c’s in the
      Turkish names you have ‘c’ or should some be ‘ç’?
      Elif Uzmez >> Üzmez?
      Murat Yildrim >> This should be ‘Yildirim’ with an ‘i’ before the ‘r’.
      <<<<

      Feature Article
      Epitome of Coercive Advertising
      Four paragraphs before the end:
      What you really want is peace and quiet, but instead, you are forced
      to repeatedly watch … and advertisements ad nauseum…

      ad nauseum >> ad nauseam
      <<<<
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic