8839Re: [carfree_cities] End of elevators; purpose of group

  • Simon Baddeley
    Jul 5, 2005
      Dear Joel

      I am sure you are right but Wilberforce did not see emancipation nor many
      suffragettes the rights of women to vote - this vision may not come in our
      life time.

      This is no reason not to strive, of course.

      Best

      Simon

      On 5/7/05 16:05, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > OK, the elevator discussion has now been beat to death.
      > Virtually every possible opinion has already been expressed.
      >
      > I hereby declare the discussion closed.
      >
      > As to the purpose of this list, it's to explore the issues
      > related to carfree cities and to do whatever we can to
      > make them a reality all around the world.
      >
      > I happen to think that the only way places like China and
      > India can achieve a high quality of life for all their
      > people (not just a tiny elite) is to build carfree cities
      > by the dozen and to convert existing cities to the carfree
      > model. There simply are not enough resources to deal with
      > the exploding urban population any other way and still
      > improve the quality of life.
      >
      > Regards,

      > J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      > mailbox@... http://www.carfree.com