8836End of elevators; purpose of group

    Jul 5, 2005
      Hi All,

      OK, the elevator discussion has now been beat to death.
      Virtually every possible opinion has already been expressed.

      I hereby declare the discussion closed.

      As to the purpose of this list, it's to explore the issues
      related to carfree cities and to do whatever we can to
      make them a reality all around the world.

      I happen to think that the only way places like China and
      India can achieve a high quality of life for all their
      people (not just a tiny elite) is to build carfree cities
      by the dozen and to convert existing cities to the carfree
      model. There simply are not enough resources to deal with
      the exploding urban population any other way and still
      improve the quality of life.

      Regards,