8628Cost per mile of Road, vs Rail

  • Colin Leath
    Jun 9, 2005
      Can someone help me with these figures? Someone (the
      San Diego County Regional Airport authority) is giving
      the following:

      o Freeways: $8 million per lane/per mile

      o Separate bus lanes: $8.2 million per mile

      o Trolley/light rail: $30 million per mile

      o High-speed transportation systems: $110
      million per mile

      Can the light rail figure really be correct?

      If so, why should it cost so much more to put down
      some steel rails instead of asphalt?

      Thanks,
      Colin Leath

      please CC me in any replies! Thanks.