84RE: [carfree_cities] Re: DoMoreRoadsSolveTrafficCongestion??

  • Ronald Dawson
    Apr 15, 2000
      Looney Goons wrote:
      >Unfortunately, you're right. More roads = more traffic, and
      >ultimately more congestion. In fact, there is a direct correlation
      >between the volume of traffic and the amount of paved roads.

      One question I have is, why is it that in Paris they building these things
      called Metroroutes, basically auto only tunnels?

      >The obvious answer is to provide mass-transit systems such as subways
      >or surface railways. These are, however, relatively expensive
      >options, which is why roads tend to be built instead.

      Like wise, but politics often get in the way.

      >You say that you have two rivers flowing through the city, one
      >through the most congested parts of town. Rivers are not ideal for
      >carrying passengers due to the slow speed of boats, but freight is a
      >different matter. You might try taking freight off the roads and onto
      >the water where possible, the spare road capacity could then be set
      >aside for public transport.

      A problem with those of us in more temperate climates is that rivers freeze.

      >Integrated river / rail terminals could also provide a link into the
      >national rail system, enabling commerce to operate more easily.

      Ferrying stuff could be a good start.

      >If you do settle on a subway system, then cut and fill would be the
      >cheapest option for you to implement. Basically, this involves
      >digging a large trench, lining the floor and sides with reinforced
      >concrete, laying the rails and putting the lid on. Earth is then used
      >to fill the hole so that it's flush with the street.

      The cut and cover technique has been around for a while, but one problem
      with it is that if there are utilities under the street it can be difficult
      to reroute them.

      >India does have a good deal of rail expertise, so I'm sure you'll get
      >the problem licked sooner or later - just bear in mind the lessons of
      >the traffic jammed cities of the US and Europe.

      More often or not it's a lack of political will and not a technical thing.

      Ron Dawson
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic