8323Re: [carfree_cities] Conservatives & Rail Transit; was Re: strange bedfellows

  • Simon Baddeley
    Apr 19, 2005
      Hi Fred. Good to see the category breaking going on here.

      In the UK "road-rationing" or "congestion charging" is supported by the
      right on free market principles and by the left on the principle of
      redistributing road space more fairly (with all the reservations about
      simplistic left-right categories).

      Simon

      On 19/4/05 1:47 pm, "Fred M. Cain" <fredmcain@...> wrote:

      > Most conservatives are firm believers in the good of allowing free
      > markets to prevail - and I agree. But what many refuse to see is
      > that the automotive and highway mode have existed in anything but a
      > true "free market" environment - a fact that most of you on this
      > list are probably aware of. If we are to move ahead as a nation in
      > the field of transportation, changes need to be made.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Fred M. Cain
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic