8320Conservatives & Rail Transit; was Re: strange bedfellows

  • Fred M. Cain
    Apr 19, 2005
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Dawson"
      <m82a1_dawson@h...> wrote:
      > Karen Sandness wrote:
      > >The arch-conservative Paul Weyrich has long been in favor of mass
      > >transit, so not all Republicans are knee-jerk car potatoes.
      >
      > Karen you made a very good point, just because some one is a
      conservative
      > dosen't mean that they are right winged. Just as there are
      liberals who are
      > not left leaning.
      >
      > Andrew Dawson

      Well, I consider myself as a convert. A life-long liberal who once
      voted for McGovern, I have left the fold and have become very
      conservative in recent years for a number of reasons that I won't go
      into here.

      But what really gets me about some conservatives is that they refuse
      to apply the same tough standards for the highway and automotive
      mode that they insist upon applying to rail transit.

      Most conservatives are firm believers in the good of allowing free
      markets to prevail - and I agree. But what many refuse to see is
      that the automotive and highway mode have existed in anything but a
      true "free market" environment - a fact that most of you on this
      list are probably aware of. If we are to move ahead as a nation in
      the field of transportation, changes need to be made.

      Regards,
      Fred M. Cain
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic