8289Re: [carfree_cities] strange bedfellows

  • Todd Edelman
    Apr 15, 2005
      note: Original article from Washington Post follows my
      response.

      Joel,

      Trust your sources. Just because people are neo-Cons
      etc etc clearly does not mean they are stupid.

      As much as they are interested in the part of
      "Aggressive Oil Exploration" that puts Hummer-sized
      bank notes into the arms industry , they also imagine
      quite well riots from the East coast to the West (or
      possibly the other direction?) over a lack of
      Entitlement Vitamins (coincidentally the same initals
      as electric vehicle).

      So, while this is obviously just a wolf in wolf's
      clothing in regards to the "auto-negatives" (all the
      bad things about cars) aside from emissions/peak oil
      stuff, I think it could actually be dressed as the
      proverbial sheep in regards to bringing back nuclear
      energy to America. In fact, I think the nuke mafia are
      possibly present at meetings with NRDC, dressed as
      that animal (having kept the larder full for the past
      few years with consultant fees from the 20+ nuke
      station projects in China, perhaps).

      Ok, I cant prove anything right now. BUT that the
      Neo-Cons are backing Prius-isation is no surprise.
      Decreasing emissions in the USA (if that is a goal)
      and decreasing deaths in the Middle East is a good
      thing (of course one condition for Israel is a
      "victory" in Iraq - only then will the bombs - thank
      you all for meeting the April 15 deadline! - be
      redirected).

      But, in sum, I think this is like a party where
      vegetarian hors d'oeuvres are brought around... but
      where some of guests are vegans, and there is no main
      course, and no plan for one....

      UNLESS!! you think that Neo-Cons etc are in fact
      fooling themselves and unintentionally preparing for a
      carfree future - but this depends on nuclear and
      possibly also "superclean" coal being rejected.

      Then the battle will be about the new or possibly
      third generation space shuttle developed to aid in
      exporting methane from Titan.

      Not impressed,
      Todd

      http://www.wbcsd.org/plugins/DocSearch/details.asp?type=DocDet&ObjectId=14062