8131Re: [carfree_cities] Re: McLanes vs. Train Lanes

    Feb 27, 2005
      >In Los Angeles, a variety of palm-greasing compromises required Metro
      >to buy equipment from different manufacturers and in effect make the
      >various lines incompatible with each other. You can't shift stock from
      >Blue to Gold, for example, if demand requires....

      *sigh*

      Let's all remember the PCC streetcar. This was a standard design
      that the presidents of America's streetcar operations agreed to
      make a standard. They were churned out by the thousand in the USA
      and in far larger numbers under license in Europe. They cost about
      10 times as much as an automobile, compared to today's 100 times.
      I think there's a lesson here. Oh, and yeah, the PCC car was about
      20 years in advance of any competition.

      -- ### --