8130Re: [carfree_cities] Re: McLanes vs. Train Lanes

    Feb 27, 2005
      On Feb 27, 2005, at 3:40 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

      > I can't imagine how US cities are having to pay these kinds of
      > prices. This stuff is not THAT expensive. The only plausible
      > explanation is that this kind of work is so rare that there are
      > no economies of scale (nor any standardized equipment--BART
      > does not use standard gauge).
      >
      > This WAS only a proposal and has never been subjected to serious
      > consideration. I do, however, still think that the idea is at
      > least worth the trouble of exploring with an open mind. Current
      > regulatory and technological approaches will kill it immediately.

      In Los Angeles, a variety of palm-greasing compromises required Metro
      to buy equipment from different manufacturers and in effect make the
      various lines incompatible with each other. You can't shift stock from
      Blue to Gold, for example, if demand requires.... (Red Line doesn't
      count in this as it's HR.)

      http://www.living-room.org
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic