8040American rickshaws?

  • Debra Efroymson
    Feb 1, 2005
      I think it would be great fun to start promoting
      rickshaws (somehow tricycles sound like they're for
      little kids) in the US, as a solution to so many of
      our problems: unemployment, air pollution, high cost
      of fuel, global warming, etc. I know they're used in
      some places in the West (such as velotaxi in Germany,
      no?), though mostly I've seen it for tourists. Not
      only would it push the debate a bit in the US, it
      would be immensely helpful for countries in Asia where
      we're trying to defend them from attack.
      Anyone with connections to newspapers interested in
      working with me on this?
      Debra Efroymson (anima1205@...)

      --- CEB <cyklopraha@...> wrote:

      > I predict that in a few days this thread will be
      > about carfree cities with lots of bicycles and
      > tricycles and people asking what to call these huge
      > heavy noisy things with four wheels that people use
      > outside of town and want to use during public
      > transit strikes.
      >
      > Todd

      > > Od: Christopher Miller <christophermiller@...>
      > > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      > > Datum: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:10:29 -0500
      > > P�edm�t: Re: [carfree_cities] name advice needed
      > >

      > > One thing that strikes me, having looked at what
      > is offered in public
      > > use bike programs (and especially in the context
      > of carfree city
      > > planning), is that it would be an especially
      > useful idea to offer,
      > > either alongside or instead of bicycles, tricycles
      > adapted to carry
      > > freight or more than one passenger. "Pick-up"
      > bikes in other words. If
      > > build sufficiently wide, they would also be likely
      > to deter theft,
      > > since they would be less easy to wheel through a
      > typical urban doorway.
      > > In a carfree city, there would certainly be an
      > especially high demand
      > > for such bikes, whether for small group excursions
      > or for shopping
      > > trips. (I rather doubt that all deliveries would
      > always be taken care
      > > of by stores.) Furthermore, being tricycles, their
      > greater stability
      > > might attract users who would not be likely to use
      > bikes.
      > >
      > > Chris Miller
      > > Washington DC/Mount Rainier Maryland
      > > USA