7661RE: [carfree_cities] RE: ETT and Canterbury Tales

    Sep 17, 2004
      Hi All,

      I'm declaring this discussion over.

      ETT is just another one of these pie-in-the-sky ideas
      that keep us from focusing on the real questions. The
      basic idea has been around for more than a century,
      and if there were anything to it, we would know by now.
      (A prototype system built in southern Manhattan was
      quickly abandoned.)

      The amount of energy required to maintain the vacuum
      is not trivial, the claims of low cost are entirely
      unsubstantiated, and it would appear that little or
      no serious engineering has been done on this proposal.

      Therefore, anyone wanting to discuss this can go start
      a new group for that purpose. Not here.

      Regards,

      -- ### --