7658RE: [carfree_cities] RE: ETT and Canterbury Tales

  • Jason Meggs
    Sep 16, 2004
      Daryl,

      Thanks for the reply -- I'm actually reminded of an idea that was floating
      around some time ago to create bicycle commute tubes at street level, with
      air pressure/wind in the travel direction. There would be two tubes, side
      by side, one for each direction. This would mean protection from rain and
      hostile winds year-round, and perhaps an easy 25 MPH trip inside the tube.
      I'd like more details about that idea as well.

      I'm glad there are hundreds of pages of details worked out about the ETT
      idea. But one question I'd like to know up front before searching for
      those documents, and searching through them, is:

      What happens if there's a rupture of the vacuum tube?

      - System-wide?
      - For close-approaching trains to the rupture?
      - How long does repair take?
      - How long does it take to bring the system online (restore vacuum after
      repair)?

      Jason Meggs
      Berkeley, CA, USA

      On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Daryl Oster wrote:

> [...]