7514Re: [carfree_cities] transit and the single rider

  • gregb88@comcast.net
    Jul 13, 2004
      Doug Salzmann wrote:

      >On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, T. J. Binkley wrote:
      >

      >>>This is another of the popular reasons why people avoid riding transit
      >>>if they have any choice. We just don't like to sit close to strangers.
      >>>It's not "pandering" to accomodate this; city people don't live
      >>>in large vilage-like groups.
      >>>
      >>>...I wonder if transit would get a whole lot more popular if most of the
      >>>seats were singles?
      >>>

      >>I'm always baffled when I hear comments like this. Those who "don't like
      >>to sit next to strangers" would do themselves a tremendous service to get
      >>out of their comfort zones and rub shoulders with the "other" once in a
      >>while. After experiencing this sort of thing for a while, many people
      >>choose it.

      But aren't we always forced to encounter strangers anyhow? In
      supermarkets there's people
      behind you and in front you lined up for the cash register. In classes
      at school and college, meetings at work, large social functions, it's
      likely you'll have to sit next to a stranger... Not to mention
      restaurants and bars....

      >Amen. Ditto, etc.
      >
      >I think the "stranger avoidance" tendency is a behavior based upon
      >learned attitudes and expectations ("people you don't know are
      >dangerous"). It had better be -- six-headed-for-ten billion humans
      >are not gonna be able to live in private bubbles.
      >

      > -Doug
      >

      >---
      > Doug Salzmann
      > Kalliergo