7472Re: [carfree_cities] Status Anxiety

  • T. J. Binkley
    Jun 30, 2004
      Joel replied:

      > Construction financing for an unconventional project will be more expensive
      > > and difficult to obtain.
      >Unless we can find an insurance company that believes in the need
      >for this....

      How would this make obtaining construction financing less difficult or less

      > > Most sites that have the desired proximity to shops, services and public
      > > transit, will be relatively expensive. High land costs will completely
      > > wipe out any potential savings from less car infrastructure, as
      > compared to
      > > suburban development.
      >In California, I'm not so sure this equation would hold. Buildable
      >land is now so expensive that the costs of building, say, 4 houses
      >on one acre as compared to building, say, 40 apartments would almost
      >certainly yield a lower per-unit cost for the carfree project.

      I'm missing something here. Some developers (right here in Ventura,
      California) continue to build detached houses at 4 units per acre, others
      build apartments and condos at 40 dua+. The land for both project types is
      "expensive", but the land being considered for higher density projects, is
      much more expensive than land proposed for suburban development. Are you
      suggesting building a carfree project in the 'burbs? ....or praying for
      cheap land in a city?

      > > If "it's possible to have a car around somewhere" in these projects, and
      > > they are as beautiful and desirable as we envision, then demand for them
      > > will be substantial, and they will command high prices.
      >Well, let's not confuse price and cost. The cost to construct should
      be moderate, I think. The price in the market may be quite high.

      Yes, let's not. ;^]

      I was replying to your comment:

      > >I thus see lots of working and middle-class urbanites who would
      > >snap up carfree housing if it became available, especially at a
      > >lower price than sprawl (possibly half the price, given that
      > >rooms would be smaller than in the 'burbs).

      Honestly, where could you possibly imagine making carfree housing available
      at a lower price than sprawl?

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic