7446Re: [carfree_cities] Is the oil dependence problem on the radar?

  • Doug Salzmann
    Jun 19, 2004
      On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Simon Baddeley wrote:

      > But excuse me - what's this idea that you can somehow survive separately.

      I would say, rather, a hope that some of civilization can survive
      (especially the arts and music that, in my view, distinguish us from
      other species, like squirrels, that are otherwise more attractive)
      -- a longshot, to be sure.

      > The character of the catastrophe we are discussing allows no
      > refuges of this kind. It's more like The Flood, only without the Ark. This
      > isn't about removing yourself from the mainstream of a society you don't
      > like. There will be no place to go.

      That may be true. It depends, mostly, on the specific forces
      unleashed during the death throes of the mainstream culture. If it
      goes out with a whimper, collapsing and crumbling rather than
      exploding, there may remain pockets of survival and cultural

      If, instead, global industrial capitalism exits with a bang, humans
      may be reduced to a Mad Max caricature of our former "glory" -- at

      Either way, it appears overwhelmingly probable that the dominant
      culture *will* fail catastrophically, most likely sooner rather than
      later. Having observed the trends, signs and portents with some care
      and attention for nearly four decades, I very much doubt that such
      failure can now be avoided.

      > I thought everyone know this the moment that first photo of earth from space
      > - from the Mercury satellite in the late 1960s - entered general
      > circulation.

      Yes, I think we have all felt that way from that time, Simon. For me,
      the changed analysis arises from the growing realization that we have
      *already* failed in our efforts to save the whole, that the best we
      can now, perhaps, achieve is the preservation of parts, pieces and
      fragments -- along with, one hopes, a thimble of wisdom -- much as
      happened during the Dark Ages in Europe.

      I really don't believe we can do more at this late date, which is why
      the subject header, "Illichville or Else," seemed appropriate to a
      recent message.

      I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

      "Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do."

      -Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1981

      Doug Salzmann
      Post Office Box 307
      Corte Madera, CA 94976 USA