7445Re: [carfree_cities] Is the oil dependence problem on the radar?

  • Simon Baddeley
    Jun 19, 2004
      But excuse me - what's this idea that you can somehow survive separately. In
      the European dark Ages the Monasteries preserved a literary and spiritual
      tradition. During the world wars of the 20th C. some countries managed to
      remain neutral. The character of the catastrophe we are discussing allows no
      refuges of this kind. It's more like The Flood, only without the Ark. This
      isn't about removing yourself from the mainstream of a society you don't
      like. There will be no place to go.

      I thought everyone know this the moment that first photo of earth from space
      - from the Mercury satellite in the late 1960s - entered general
      circulation.

      Simon

      On 19/6/04 9:09 pm, "Doug Salzmann" <doug@...> wrote:

      > Ken wrote:
      >
      >>> Simon Baddeley said:
      >>>
      >>> "To some it's like being on the Titanic"
      >>>
      >>> It definately seems that way to me. I really doubt there's a way to change
      >>> course or to reverse the engines. I think a better plan is to make ready
      >>> the
      >>> lifeboats and prepare to abandon ship.
      >
      > To which Simon responded:
      >
      > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Simon Baddeley wrote:
      >
      >> Trouble with the Titanic metaphor is that although it was risky there was at
      >> least a place to bale out to. Barring planetary colonisation there's nowhere
      >> else for us - sinners and saints alike - to go.
      >>
      >> We all hang together or we all hang separately.
      >
      > I think Ken means that the prospects for altering the course of
      > mainstream culture seem remote, and that those of us who clearly
      > see the looming iceberg can most usefully focus our energies, at this
      > late date, on strategies for survival and rescue.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic