7027Re: Fwd: [UrbanMaglev] "A Streetcar Named Disaster" HoustonReview 2/4 (at-grade LRT vs. ..)

  • mauk_mcamuk
    Mar 9 5:30 PM
      > 3. The claim that light rail reduces traffic congestion has come
      back
      > to bite transit advocates. It clearly doesn't do that, as a visit
      > Tokyo will prove. What it does do is allow people to *opt out* of
      > congestion. Publicity for light rail lines should stress this
      notion.

      This is an amazingly good point. Light rail provides a second,
      complimentary pathway. After enough time has passed, maybe we can
      start retiring the cars from city centers, thus creating carfree
      zones.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic