6832Re: [carfree_cities] Minimum Size of Carfree Districts?

    Jan 28, 2004
      It's an interesting and difficult question to answer. It depends in
      part on whether it's an urban or rural rail line. If urban, then I
      think 30-50 acres is enough; if rural, maybe double that. But
      it depends so much on circumstances, especially the matter of the
      local economy, that I don't think you can really establish a firm
      guideline. I think you have to assess it case-by-case. The first
      question has to be, how do people earn their living?

      Regards,

      >I know I'm dabbling in the realm of the highly unlikely here, but if one
      >could construct a greenfield carfree development along a rail line that
      >was going to open in the next 10-20 years, even in a very auto-oriented
      >place, how small could it be and still stand a chance of getting a
      >critical mass to support itself?
      >
      >I'm thinking in terms of local retail, etc.? Would 50 acres do at the 1.5
      >FAR? 30? Or do we need to go higher? (I'm working from Crawford's
      >reference district idea here)
      >
      >Patrick McDonough

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >To visit your group on the web, go to: