      From: "CEB" <cyklopraha@...>
      To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 12:44 PM
      Subject: [carfree_cities] Carfree Bam, Iran?

      | Hi,
      | The centre of Bam was probably carfree but I am not sure about the rest of it.
      In any case there is going to be significant rebuilding and probably much
      redesign....the town is on a major highway and I think fuel is cheap in Iran. So
      things could go several ways.....clearly a major point to make is that a
      possible restoration of the largest mudbrick building in the world does not make
      sense if surrounded by parking lots.
      | IF anyone is interested in helping it go more of carfree way let me know. I
      have done some research on Iranian environmental groups and have a contact at
      the UNDP. But before I contact the Iranians or UNDP I would like to assemble
      some kind of group of people who are at least interested in some ongoing work on
      this idea.
      | I have little info on the previous transport situation in and around Bam, the
      general state of buses and trains, etc. in Iran, and car free areas in the
      | Let me know if you can help or have any info.
      | Todd Edelman
      | Project manager, Prague Central Greenway
      | Cycling and Energy Futures
      | www.cyklopraha.cz
      | [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      | To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
      | Group address: http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/
      | Yahoo! Groups Links
      | To visit your group on the web, go to:
      | Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
      | http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic