643Re: [carfree_cities] Car Free Zones Within Cities

    Jun 3, 2000
      Andrew said:

      >There is alot of talk in New Orleans about car free zones along the
      >Mississippi River because there are tons of blighted wharf property that
      >is being transformed into beautiful parks and carfree areas. There is
      >one project in particular that is doing this near the convention center
      >because the river front streetcar line is building an extension to
      >accommodate development. I will let you know of all updates to the
      >project.

      The Toronto proposal is a lot like the one you're making for
      NOLA (New Orleans, LA). It sounds like a good plan, and NOLA
      can use all the tourism it can get (I believe the local economy
      is chronically ill). There's nothing like carfree areas to draw
      people to them (ask any shopping mall operator!). Venice gets
      more than twice as many tourists as any other Italian city.
      It's the only place that isn't overrun by cars. It's good
      business as well as sound environmentalism.

      ###

      J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
      postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic