6410Re: Car-free cities and jobs

  • Mike Neuman
    Nov 7, 2003
      15,000 Parishaners died in August from the record setting heat-wave
      that reportedly took the lives of over 35,000 Europeans last summer.
      Unless Paris invests heavily in air conditioning (and supplying the
      electricity for it), I wouldn't advise anyone over 60 moving there
      any time soon. Thanks to the U.S. and other heavy fossil fuel
      burning countries of the world, the possibility of more of these
      tragedies happening in the world will grow with each passing year,
      especially in cities vulnerable to "heat island" effects.

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "mauk_mcamuk" <mauk2@h...>
      wrote:
      > You are absolutely right!
      >
      > Now, what are we supposed to do with the three billion additional
      > people expected to share the world with us by 2050?
      >
      > I think Paris might be full...... :)
      >

      > > It's important to remember that millions of people all over the
      > world
      > > already live in centuries-old carfree cities.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic